WHICH HUNT-please help

southslope82

As all of you know the application periods are coming up quick I have researched what I can and now I am using MM for additonal help my Questions are

1. I am looking for a unit that is capable of producing a 24'' 4point and bigger that can be drawn in 2-3 years as a non resident does a unit with this potential even exist? If so which ones? This would be a any weapon hunt by the way

2. I also am looking for a Pronghorn unit that is an any weapon hunt that is easy to draw quanity instead of quality is what I am looking for in this hunt a trophy buck would be nice but would not really be important to me can I draw and area such as this in a single year as a non resident? If so which ones?

I would dearly appreciate and help that you could offer. I would be more than happy to help anyone out with Utah ?'s if they have any. Thanks

Some of the ranch's arround Buffalo to Gellette hold some good animals. They most charge a tresspass fee ,but if you want a nice buck ,that is what I would do.

The antelope deal is no problem. Pick almost any unit in eastern Wyoming and you'll be OK. You can draw every year and there are lots of antelope. You may have to pay a trespass fee, but there's also public lands in some areas.

To answer your deer question, you might need to provide some info. How are you physically? Are you willing to pack in? Do you have the right eqpt? And a 24" deal always sets me off because there are some B&C deer that don't go 24". You'd be better off looking for a mature deer than a spindly-horned 24" 3 point. Bucks like what you likely want can be had in almost all areas. It jsut takes time and a little work.

Good hunting.

Well the antelope part sounds good. I am in great physical shape and am in my early twenty's I prefer to hunt hard I like hiking when I hunt its alot more enjoyable, I have got good equipment, I also have horses, I would like to stay off the wilderness area were I am a non resident -Wouldn't I have to have a resident of wyoming with me or a guide or something like that ? The only things that are working against me on this hunt is my Vacation time at work I have plenty of it I just don't want to take 2 weeks or really even a week off to hunt one hunt cause there are alot of other hunts and things that I like to use my time off for. I just am using a 24'' buck as an example I would much rather have a mature deer. I have seen people use the term mature deer on MM before and different people have a different idea of what a mature deer is. I would like to take a 150 class or higher buck. Any help with unit #'s
Thanks

Reg G or H. I prefer G, but H has plenty of non-wilderness and better draw odds. Country is the same. Strap on your backpack and head for the nasty steep stuff. 150"+ bucks are very doable. I would plan on taking off at least a week, if I were you. We've hunted G three times and learn something new each time. It's nice to have a place that we can draw fairly often. Better than waiting on that one chance at a premier unit.

Don P

Tom Jones' Dead Horse Creek Ranch might be a good start. I have several friends that used to go to Tom's. Year after Year. He was reasonable and had water on most of the acreage he had either deeded or leased/ landlocked. There generally are leftover tags up there. He basically controlled from the Powder River to the Campbell County line along 90. I have searched for something on him on the internet and can find reference to what seems like maybe his widow?? The Ranch is still there and the Chamber of Commerce for the County could most likely put you in touch with them if they still take on hunters.

Pat C.
-----------------------------------------------------------

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/backcountryhunting/

http://picasaweb.google.com/WillyP1956

Yeah, i might look at G for a DIY hunt. I went back in there a few years ago and it was a bit rough for me but you as a young guy might eat it up. We, my partner and i, saw some decent bucks, one big guy, and i took a nice 170 class 28" 4x4. Lots of hunters, even far back in, i'd plan on a hunt later in the season when things calm down. Might even see you there! i have to talk my partner out of going back in favor of some country a tad less deadly.lol

Like i said, pretty rough, i'm 54 and a big guy, not a perfect fit for that country but it is beautiful and with a little luck, good glassing skills, and hard hunting, you stand a decent chance at a good buck. Good luck!

Joey

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom