Which insulated jacket?

dgwoody

I've done a few searches in the hunting gear thread, but haven't found any recent info pertaining to what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for a ?puffy? jacket for my layering system. I've been learning towards a Kuiu Kenai for a while due to the pit zips, but I'm starting to wonder how much I would wear it while hiking. I do have a November muzzleloader elk tag in Idaho and regularly hunt cow elk in December. I don't really care about the camo aspect, just don't want to freeze my butt off. Are the Kuiu?s and Sitka?s going to perform any better than a Columbia or Pategonia jacket? Or are you just lying for the name when it comes to the downs and synthetics? I do have the Kuiu rain gear and like it, but I'm not interested in buying something just to look cool. Give me your thoughts and experiences fellas, thanks.

In my opinion Sitka and Kuiu preform very well. Both are made for the abuse hunters deal with daily. Columbia makes a good product but it wouldn't last one season in my family. At the end of the day you get what you pay for.

The Kuiu Kenai jacket is awesome. Very warm, lightweight and packable so you can easily put it in your pack if you take it off. If it gets wet, it also dries really fast. Would highly recommend it.

I don't plan on hiking in a puffy, its more for when I stop hiking and things chill down. I'm a believer in the KUIU Super Down over the Kenai. I know its more expensive but it is warmer and lighter too. Rab makes some quality mountaineering clothing as well if you are leaning that direction.

Grizzly

-----------------------------------------

Ask yourself if you agree with the following statement...

"It's time to revisit the widely accepted principle in the United States and Canada that game is a public resource."
-Don Peay, Founder of SFW, as quoted in Anchorage Daily News

Look at the First Lite line too. The Uncompahgre Puffy is a nice piece. So is the Brooks down jacket, and if you want something you don't plan to hike in but will keep you beyond warm while sitting, look at the Chamberlain...

another +1 on the Kenai (I have the older model, not the newer "Ultra".) I have used it for the last couple seasons from August bow hunts to cold November-December hunts. It is one of my favorite jackets for warmer or active cold weather hunts.

I just picked up a Kifaru Lost Park Parka for the colder/less active hunts. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I am looking forward to testing it out on a Colorado 4th season tag this year.

>Please don't buy Pategonia. They support
>anti hunting groups.
>
>+1 on the Kuiu Kenai

Good heads up. I'll take Pategonia off the list.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-07-19 AT 10:54AM (MST)[p]Probably can't go wrong with any of the suggestions already mentioned. Another one to consider/look at is the SKRE Ptarmigan 850 down coat. Only 12 oz and they use a premium 850 water repellent goose down. Used it on a 4th season hunt in Colorado last year with temps as low as negative 10 some mornings and it did a great job. I don't hike very often in my puffy because I sweat too much, but I put it on as soon as I sit to glass. You can usually get 15% off their gear too.

https://www.skregear.com/product/ptarmigan-ultra-down-summit/

I'd agree with smokingfire. The others are great jackets, but for a pure puffy, the Skre Ptarmigan has been great to me. Again, wouldn't hike in it (nor would it in any insulation layer), but light, packable, super warm, and 30% cheaper than alternatives in that realm.

"...I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six..."

Thanks for the responses so far. The reason I have been leaning towards the Kenai is because of a little bit of a Kuiu discount that I can get. They just haven't had any in stock. I just bought my wife a Columbia jacket for her birthday and it got me wondering if there was really any warmth advantage to the hunting specific stuff or not. The packability and some of the hunting features are great, but when it comes purely to the warmth, I have to wonder. Most of us are gear junkies by nature, but I still wanted to be sure to buy what will perform the best.

I just got back from a hunt in Alberta. Two of my friends were wearing the Kuiu Kenai they bought less than a year ago. Both said the jackets were warm but complained about the material balling up where their backpack straps and gun slings rub. I have the First Lite puffy and love it. The exterior material on the Kenai is quieter than the First Lite, but it also has the balling issue.

I'm personally a KUIU guy so I have a bit of a bias as most of us do about what we like or don't care for.
I have to agree with the earlier comment about the KUIU Super Down. I love my Kenai jacket but the Super Down PRO is the real deal.

As some of the others have commented, check out Skre?s version. I personally don't have any experience with them, but they are a good bit less expensive.

I have both the Kuiu Super Down and Kenai.
I agree with Coloradoboy. The Kenai is my go to jacket for most everything.
I use the Kenai way more because it breaths better when I hike, but the super down is warmer for really cold stuff and it compacts into nothing for packing.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-08-19 AT 06:53PM (MST)[p]The Kenai is a great jacket and I'm sure you would be happy with it. It's not a brush busting tough outerwear jacket but I've worn it in some pretty thick stuff.
Just curious do you already have a soft shell jacket? Mid layer? Base layer?
The peloton 240 is one of my go to outer layers also. Always wearing it or in the pack at least. Haven?t tried the Kutana hybrid yet but it looks like a great jacket also.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom