Which Moose to Shoot?

Weatherby

Alright Guys/Gals,

While up scouting this past weekend, I viewed two bull moose which were both trophy bulls. Although, I don't have any pictures, I'd like to provide descriptions, and request that you provide some feedback on which would score better:

1st bull: ~50 inches wide, single brow on left side and double brow on right side. He had ~8-10 points coming off of both paddles, with points on both sides that looked like sword points on a bull elk. Gorgeous bull to say the least.

2nd bull: ~45 inches wide, triple brow on right side and double drow on left. The diameter of the paddles was incredible, probably about 1/3 wider than the first bull. However, the paddles didn't have any points coming off of them. They just looked like a couple of massive oars.

Please provide thoughts on which to shoot? The 1st bull was the prettier of the two, just due to all of the points, I wasn't a fan of the single brow-tine. I'm going after the bull this fall with archery tackle!

Thanks!

Weatherby

I would say shoot the 1st bull(50 inches) that's a great shiras moose (I assume your hunting shiras). I am a fan of brow points also, but with all the points coming off the paddles I would shoot the first bull. Shoot the bull that makes you happy after all your going to have to look at it all the time when its hanging on your wall. Good luck, can't wait to see some pics.

As I read this, you already know which bull you prefer.

The better looking bull even though he has a single browtine probably would have better wall appeal.

CS

"Helping turn good tags, into great ones." - www.vipoptics.com

I had the same deal on my Wyo moose hunt a few years ago. I had my choice of shooting several bulls that had excellent "wall appeal" or holding out for a B&C contender. My goal was B&C so I passed up several bulls that looked a lot more impressive than the one I got (but wouldn't make B&C).

It sounds like you know quite a bit about B&C scoring and you are probably aware that there are hardly any single brow bulls that have ever made B&C. If the single brow bull has extremely long paddles (E measurement) and extremely wide palms (B) there may be a very slight chance he may make B&C if he is 50". He has a few tines that the other bull doesn't sound like he has so those will add to his score. Even at 50" it may be tough for him to make book but there is no doubt he will easily make P&Y. From what you saw you can put all the numbers together to estimate his score.

If you want wall appeal the single brow 50" would be tough to beat! I have a feeling I know which unit you are hunting and there may be a chance of finding another bull with forked brows on both sides that may even be wider than 50"! Good luck on your quest! I hope you get him w/a bow!

Thanks for all of the feedback! Please keep it coming! While I would be happy with either bull, I would probably never have the opportunity to choose between the two, as the hunt is during the peak of the rut, and there will be a wide geographic gap between the two bulls. I wouldn't consider myself any expert when it comes to scoring moose, but given the fact that I would be extatic with either of the bulls, I would probably lean toward the bull that would score better. Thanks again, for all of the feedback. Good luck during your hunting adventures this fall!!!

Regards,

Weatherby

Weatherby, if your tag is a north slope summit, you can point me to the bull you don't shoot & then come to my house & look at him!

Guy

The first one.

The second one wont look as good due to the lack of points on the paddles. those points just make it look better.

MDQ,

Based upon your pics in the other post, you really aren't in need of much help! Having said that, I'm hunting in Colorado this year, not Utah. I should have a Shiras permit in Utah either next year or the following year, as I believe that I now have either 12 or 13 points. I'm having a hard time swallowing that ~$1600 non-resident Utah permit fee, as I'm a resident of Colorado. I've often thought about just using that $1600 toward a moose hunt in AK, but I also have a hard time just giving up on the 12-13 points. Good luck this fall.

Regards,

Weatherby

Bull #1 is your boy. I took a bull in WY with my bow in 2005 that had a single brow on one side and was only 39" wide. Yet he had everything else in spades(19 points with wide and long paddles). He scored 150 gross and 144 7/8 net and looks GREAT on my wall. Good Luck!

which one is closer to the truck?? alot of work to get one out.shoot the one that you like best.good luck on your hunt. ce61

I can vouch for the close to truck recommendation! The one I shot a few years ago was 1.5 miles in and took 7 trips to pack out the boned meat, antlers, and cape. Do the math and that is quite a few miles with lots of cold meat on your back!

I like the long points and wall appeal myself. But it's all up to you, remember every point over an inch long counts towards B&C score also.

Last year I had a few good bulls found in August, only to see some them move up to 5 air miles for the rut. I was educated on how much a bull will travel in search of a cow.

I always wanted multiple brows with thick, deep palms. I got one. I love the older bulls with the mass, table top thick in the palms. I would probably shoot the 2nd bull if he appeared older, heavy and had some type of bumps on the tops.

I shot my bull 2 miles from the truck, straight up and down the other side of the mountain. It took 7 man trips to get him, but it was worth it. (Thanks to the guys who helped)

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

I shot a deep paddled long pointed 45" bull in Wyoming back in 95 that only had single brow points on both sides, but he looks great on my wall. No one has ever asked me what he scores, but almost everyone tells me how cool he looks.
With archery equipment, you may not have a choice, but I add my vote for the "pretty" one.
Good Luck

i agree with Predator.. you shoot the one that gets your heart pounding. thats all that matters when its said and done.. i passed on a 50 opening day shot a 36 a couple days later. the 50 was uglier than a mud fence, my 36 was pretty.. and i have seen alotta moose. but personally didnt really care what i got.

theres ALWAYS bigger no matter what you shoot. so have fun and be happy you going to get one with a bow... thats a trophy

Weatherby,

Ha! I guess I'm a little wrapped up in my own world & can only imagine moose in Utah right now. Geez, I'm embarassed...

Good luck on your hunt - sounds like you've got a great one on tap.

If you burn those points on north slope summit in Utah, be sure to contact me & I'll tell you what I know.

Guy

Sounds like a familiar dilemma. Last year I watched these two bulls and chose the wider, pointed out one. He net scored over 160 at 51 wide. I told another hunter of the other bull, which was 40" wide and scored 150. They both had forked brows, mine had giant forks that split near the paddle, and the narrow bull had a small fork well out onto the brow.. The wide pointed one was just so much prettier.

IMG_1275.jpg

I would have shot the second bull. Big paddles and multiple brow palm points indicates an older, nastier, and uglier bull that would be "prettier" in my opinion. I do like long points though...

In the picture above, that bull on the right is impressive.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-15-08 AT 09:40PM (MST)[p]Spaz,

The bull on the right is very similar to the bull that I described with all of the points. However, oddly enough the bull only had a single brow on one side. Anyway, I'd be stoked if he presented an opportunity during the hunt.

Thanks for all of the feedback guys..... keep it coming!

Cheers!!

Weatherby

LAST EDITED ON Aug-21-08 AT 01:52PM (MST)[p]It was not in Eastmans. It was in the Huntin Fool, issue on MT sheep, goat, moose. There's plenty of photos and all the details on the hunt there. It will also be in the outdoor channel, Big Game Profiles next month. But here is a photo of the narrow bull in the photo above, as that one isn't in either the magazine or the footage taken for the TV program.
MattEkstromMoose2.jpg

Those are both great bulls! I'd of taken the one on the right. Nice big boy with those nice long points, and width. Oh yeah!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom