which rifle, need advice?

rifleman

looking to add another rifle to my collection. it's primary use will be out of state hunting for mule deer and elk and those nasty days here in texas. i've got it narrowed down to 2 chamberings and rifles: 1. remington 700bdl stainless/synthetic in .7mm rem. mag. or 2. winchester 70 stainless/synthetic in .300 WSM. any experience with the 2 chamberings or rifles? i've never owned a winchester, however i do own a rem. 700 and its always performed well. i most likely will replace the factory stock with an aftermarket stock unless i end up liking the factory one. any advice?

FWIW, more smiths work on Remmys out there. And when you introduce the work elk I always prefer the larger diameter slugs to start with.

The 300 wsm is a proven accurate round. But you can't come up with rem in wsm.(??)

Other thought for savings is savage in 300wsm. All have been really accurate, saving money, most can come pillared, and the accutrigger is not a bad deal at all. Plus stainless with brake and syn stock comes in for what most rem/win stock guns go for or less

End result is there probably isn't much difference between the ones you want. Pick which one you want is probably the best.

Jeff

Rost495 gave you very good advice. I would prefer the Win. 70 in 300WSM for myself, but you should select the rifle that you would feel better about carrying in the field. Both are good rifles, pick the one you will be happy with.

RELH

both good calibers in high quality, field proven rifles. you've narrowed it down to a win win situation i'd say. flip a coin.

I have been real unhappy with Remingtons recent quality. Things seem to really have gone downhill there in the last couple years. I'd go with the Winchester any day. I really love the controlled round feeding with that great big extractor. The .300 wsm gets the slight edge for greater frontal area when elk are concerned, but both are great calibers. Another vote for the Winny and the .300 WSM is that it has a shorter action which lends itself to a shorter, lighter and more handy rifle for humping up and down mountains.

The Kimber 8400 in chambered in 300 WSM. I bought a Kimber in 243 for my kids I it shoot and looks greats. Kimber has done a very good job on their rifles. The 8400 weighs less than 7lbs so it might bite a little.

I recently sat in a conversation a respected gunshop owner here in NW Washington was having with a customer regarding the 300 & 270 WSM's. He said he was receiving alot of happy customer reports from guys who bought the TIKKA and CZ rifles. He felt they were a great buy, outstanding workmanship and high in mechanical quality.

I do not remember which manufacture had the single stack magazine, but he said it's magazine was the most reliable when it came to feeding the short-fat WSM cartiridges.

Remington has been switching over to "just in time" manufacturing and word has it the employees are revolting, moral is very low and the quality of workmanship on factory standard models is sub-standard to what was turned out in the old days. This moral problem has not gotten into the custom shop - yet.

Given the recent article that appeared in RIFLE magazine on the CZ model 3, it looks like a real sweetie.

Another close friend bought a pair of CZ's and took them on Safari to Africa, one was in 375 H&H, the other in 416 Rigby. He absolutely loves them.

Just my two bits, Don
Everett, WA

I've heard some good things about the Tikka, but I still think it comes down to what your comfortable with. I still use my Ruger Mark II because of comfort/confidence level.

Canyon, what's that Kimber in 300 WSM run??? Boy, if that thing is less than 7# it's gotta pack a wallop...

After doing a lot of research and shopping around, we decided to purchase a new Remington 700 SPS Stainless 30-06 as a gift for my son's earning the Eagle Scout Award. :)

700sps_ss.jpg

Rifle was $469.00 from Sportsman's Warehouse in Utah and included a [24" stainless / parkerized barrel and Limbsaver Recoil Pad.

FYI:

The blued version was discounted to $398.00, but we liked the stainless at $469. (Note: The 2005 Stainless version retails for $613 and has replaced the 2004 BDL's Stainless. The 2005 SPS in blue ($520 retail) has replaced the 2004 ADL line which was dropped.)

We Piller Bedding the action / Free Floating the Barrel, and Adjusted the Trigger to 2 3/4 lbs. So far, results have been 7/8" MOA with the rifle only having 12 shots through the barrel. Should be a MOA shooter after the barrel's broken in.

* Shot Placement
* Bullet Construction / Weight Matched to Game
* Choice of Caliber

325-sequences.gif

Nosler AccuBond

You cant beat a rem 700 in 7mag for all around western hunting, or a .300 wsm for that matter. The caliber point is moot, go with what you like. One bonus for the 7mag is ammo availabilty out in the boonies....or you could handload some 150 gr barnes and rock on!!!

I have a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in .300WSM, the book says its 6 3/4 pounds, and I'm not a big fan of recoil - and its not unbearable, I'm only 5'8" and about a buck-seventy or so. The Tikka is also a lot cheaper than the Kimber - mine was $629, and I know the kimber is more than a grand, and Tikka guarantees sub-moa with premium factory loads. Someone also asked before - the Tikka has the single stack magazine.

Keep the Sun at Your Back and the Wind in Your Face

I've owned a Remington 700 BDL in 270 Winchester, & have also owned a Winchester model 70 in 30-06. The Remington was a pretty gun to own & very accurate to shoot with the iron sights.

I remember the barrel of the remington getting hot quickly. The barrel was no where near as tough as the new EAA Saiga .308 Win. Carbine. Especially for what the price difference is.

My winchester model 70 in 30-06, I can't say anything bad about it. I bought it new, & it came with the scope already mounted. After a few shots, I was already hitting coke bottles at 70 yards.

As far as 300 WSM vs Remington 7mm mag, I'd go for the Winchester.

They even make a 325 WSM cartridge now. It's supposed to do anything the 338 win mag can do.

http://www.remington.com/firearms/centerfire/700bdl.htm

http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/catalog/category.asp?cat=001C

http://www.winchesterguns.com/tv/index.asp

http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/features/detail.asp?ID=76

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3623/is_200212/ai_n9150585

what heck, aint' nobody listenin'? ok, one more time. two-seven-dee. in an old model 70 preferably. the important thing is TWO-SEVEN-DEE....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom