Which rifle?

nmwapiti

I drew an oryx tag and a Barbary sheep tag this year and I want to treat myself to a nice rifle. I had a friend suggest a Rem model 700 300 ultra mag. Thoughts on this rifle? Also need a good scope. What's a good setup in the $1500 range? That's for rifle and scope. All I've ever shot is an old ought 6 and a lever action 30-30.

To be honest the 300 ultra is more gun than anybody needs for any animal anywhere. Rounds are expensive, loud as hell, costly because of supply and demand. Everybody thinks they are so cool. They are a great gun, just abit much. You can get a nice 7mag, or a 300 win mag and have great ballistics, great knockdown power, ammo is cheaper than the ultra, etc.....

If you're looking to do some longer range shooting, Vortex is making a nice scope, as well as leupold, both have turrets you can get custom made for your gun and caliber.

I like having, stainless and synthetic stocks, easy to clean, I don't freak out if they get scratched, usually lighter in weight.

Now I'll sit back and let guys slam me for not liking the ultra mag......I wonder how long it'll take? I'm guessing by the 3rd post someone gets butthurt and starts calling me a sissy!!

LAST EDITED ON May-05-12 AT 05:19PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-05-12 AT 05:17?PM (MST)

Unless you have shot magnums and know for sure you will not develope a flinch, I would stay away from a 300 ultra mag.
If you have a friend that has a 300 Winchester mag. or similar caliber, see if he will let you shoot it and decide for yourself that you want it for your hunts.
As for the scope, I would look at a Leupold or Nikon Monarch in a 3-9 power range.
You have two very good hunts drawn. You should do a lot of practice with your new hunting rig. Have you priced the ammo for a 300 ultra mag if you do not reload. Same thing for the weatherby magnums. box of twenty is sky high in price.

RELH

Smitty, read your post after posting mine. I guess they will have to slam both of us with their macho attitude.

>To be honest the 300 ultra
>is more gun than anybody
>needs for any animal anywhere.
>Rounds are expensive, loud as
>hell, costly because of supply
>and demand. Everybody thinks they
>are so cool. They are
>a great gun, just abit
>much. You can get a
>nice 7mag, or a 300
>win mag and have great
>ballistics, great knockdown power, ammo
>is cheaper than the ultra,
>etc.....
>
>If you're looking to do some
>longer range shooting, Vortex is
>making a nice scope, as
>well as leupold, both have
>turrets you can get custom
>made for your gun and
>caliber.
>
>I like having, stainless and synthetic
>stocks, easy to clean, I
>don't freak out if they
>get scratched, usually lighter in
>weight.
>
>Now I'll sit back and let
>guys slam me for not
>liking the ultra mag......I wonder
>how long it'll take? I'm
>guessing by the 3rd post
>someone gets butthurt and starts
>calling me a sissy!!

SISSY....there, feel better?

I have 4 .300 win mags, each with a different purpose. I even use one for prairie dog hunting. And I, like the OP, thought about an Ultra. But, with the cost of ammo and brass, I just didn't think it was worth it.

LAST EDITED ON May-05-12 AT 05:51PM (MST)[p]How about a Remington Titanium rifle. That would be a cool rifle. Ron

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

Keep the 06 and the money you save learn the gun inside and out. Study the balistics and learn how to shoot it, it will do what ever you need it to do in north america.
Jay

30 calibers are sweet and I'm actually going to be getting me a 300 WSM in the near future, but saying you already have a 30-06 I would go with a 7 mm mag. Bullet availability and price are great. Go get a Winchester extreme weather and slap a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14 on top (Vortex HS LR would work to, but can be hard to find). That should put you at around $1,500 and IMO be a pretty sweet set-up, but there are a lot of different set-up options that would be sweet.

yep, you go right ahead and go hunt a barbary with a 300 win mag. ask your fellow utah buddy woodruff hunter if he would take my advice on barbary guns. I will absolutely tell you steer clear of the 300 win mag. Grab eithe a 338 lapua, 300 RUM, or 300 weatherby. Put a zeiss scope with the 800 rapid z for about $600. It holds zero like no other. make sure you load that gun with high bc bullets like berger and then get comfortable with 600 yards shots like they were nothing. Then learn how to spot barbary sheep at 1 and 2 miles and then you are set to kill a barbary first day. I took woody out last year and spotted a big ram 1 hour into the hunt about 1.5 miles out. I had to leave and he spent the rest of the week with his friend and dad. They saw nothing. I came back saturday and withing 3 hours we had about 40 different sheep to choose from all about 2.5 miles out. he wasn't comfortable with 400 yard shots and went home empty handed. I know everyone will blast me about getting closer the sheep aren't that tough blah blah blah blah. However You want the gun I mentioned above and a zeis scope cuz it holds zero and is cheap. Stay the "F" clear of the friggin leupold. They arent your dependable long range scope and they cost more. Just my two cents.

Oh, and don't shoot your oryx in the neck. Middle of the shoulder and again be comfortable out to 600 yards at least. Hope you drew rhoads and not stallion. Stallion is fine but you need to be more familiar with the range and where they hide and how they respond to pressure. However rhoads has bigger oryx. and take a 50 BMG i know how you utards shoot!

If you want the 300, buy all means use this as an excuse, but anything from a 270 up is plenty of gun.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

One gun to rule them all,
One gun to find them.
One gun to call them home,
and in the darkness bind them.

I thought I bought the last rifle I would ever need, a Weatherby Mark V in 300 Win Mag. But with a synthetic stock and stainless barrel it was so lite that it kicked like a mule and ammo was way too expensive for my taste. A great opportunity presented itself and I traded it for the exact same gun in a 30.06 and I couldnt be happier with it.
Just make sure you know what you are buying before you lay out the cash, sucks to spend all that money and have a gun not be what you thought it was in your mind.
I have the Monarch 4-16 variable power scope.

Sorry Tony:

You are wrong! The gun was good the shooter was not! I didn't put enough time in practicing long range shooting. If I had to do it over again, I would have tried to get closer. But, it's easier to say that after the fact.

Now, having said that, I'll agree with you about the 338 lapua. It is an amazing shooting gun. I had no idea what I was getting into on the sheep. I WILL be better prepared next time!

Tony:

Send me a good ballistics chart on the calibers you mentioned. I would like to see them.

Nothing wrong with a 300 win mag, I have 2 and absolutely love them! also have a 7 mag, havent killed anything with it but I know it will do the job. I have stayed away from the ultra mags for bullet prices and short barrel life, not to mention it is too much gun for most animals in the US...

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

If I were in the situation and wanted a new 300wm/rum I'd find a NIB 700 XCR I and drop in a 1.5# timney trigger & work up VLD or AB loads for it. If at some point I felt it was stomping a mudhole in me, instead of selling it, I would ship it to Seguin, Tx to have a KDF Slimline brake installed on it. Scopes would vary between Leupy, Zeiss or Vortex.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom