Which Scope

COHunter

I've decided to put a new scope on my rifle and have narrowed it down to 3. It will be a 2.5 - 10 X 40 or 3 - 9 X 40

Any opinions on these three ???

Bushnell 4200
Leupold Vari X III
Zeiss Conquest

I wouldn't waste a penny of my money on a bushnell...I don't care what anyone says they are all crap! You might get by for a while, but that junk will fall apart... if you ever want to sell it... you won't get much for it. Compared to a Luepold which hold their value very well.

Luepold has awsome customer service if anything should go wrong, which is very rare. The opical clarity of the vari x3s is going to be the best of the three, IMO.

Ziess is a very good scope as well, but I have heard that getting one fixed if you ever need it, is fairly difficult.

Have you looked at the Burris Signature Series.I have them on all the guns I own and have been happy as a pig in ####.
just my opinion.

Zeiss Conquest without a doubt.
I think for the money it is the best scope out there.
Used to use Bushnell when I was younger and had no problems but have heard horror stories from others about them.
I also have Leupolds and a Nikon and they are good scopes as well.
The Zeiss is soooo much clearer....At least to my eyes.
Good luck to you no matter your choice.
Best,
Jerry

Jerry,
When you compared your Luepold to your Ziess. Is the Luepold a VX III. I was just wondering, because to my eyes the VX III was as clear or clearer than the conquest of comparable objective and power. I guess it could be my eyes compared to yours... Both appeared to be very good scopes.

I would look through both and determine for yourself what one is clearest.

Ivan

Those are 3 great options; I just went through the same decision myself. It really depends on what you want. I have been reading a lot about the subject and I have looked through a ton of scopes, and I have come up with my own conclusions. You will have to come up with yours. It seems to be a Ford/Chevy or Coke/Pepsi issue. I would also add Nikon to the mix. Here is what I have found out, based on your suggestions.

Brightness:
1. Bushnell 4200
2. Zeiss
3. VX III

Customer Service:
1. Leupold
2. Bushnell
3. Zeiss (because you shouldn't need it)

Durability:
1. Zeiss
2. Leopold
3. Bushnell

Name factor:
1. Zeiss
2. Leopold
3. Bushnell

I noticed a few people bad mouthing Bushnell. These people have obviously never tried or tested the 4200. It is clearer and brighter than the vx-3, and half the price. It is simply a great deal. Go to 24hourcampfire.com and search the optics forum. A guy with the name of Mule Deer posts there quite a bit and he has written many books and articles on the subject of hunting optics. One of his favorite scopes is the 4200, and he would take the 4200 over a Swarovski (he's had 3 fail).

That said, my choice was the Zeiss Conquest. If you go to highlandgear.com they have some great prices on them. I bought mine in a 4.5x14x44. The 3x9 you want has a constant 4" of eye relief which is a major selling point. What it comes down to, however, is which one you will feel best with. None of those 3 will let youd down. Let us know what you decide.

One of my hunting buddies has 6 of the 4200s and he absolutley loves them. He hunts a lot in the rain and he says that the rain guard coating on them is worth its weight in gold! He said that it even stays clear in the cold and snow. I have always had Leupolds but am concidering a 4200 for my wet weather rifle.
Eric
Bird-01.gif

costumed-smiley-024.gif

Life long "vagitarian"
la.gif

No doubt about it the 4200's are good scopes, they are still made by Bauch and Lomb... with the Bushnell name on them. Hmmm I wonder why they are soo much better. But I still wouldn't buy a POS Bushnell regarudless of who makes it if they put their name on it I won't touch it! Bushnell is famous for selling crappy merchendise... They have the record to prove it! THAT is why I won't do bussiness with them, reputation for customer service and quality of goods sells thing, both of which Bushnell lacks IMO.

Anyway, Bauch and Lomb got out of selling thier rifle scopes due to bunny huggers puting pressure on them about making medical supplies along with weapons designed for killing fury woodland creatures... There is a nother reason that I won't buy their stuff they caved to ANTIHUNTERS! They managed to pull the wool over everyones eyes and are now selling the crap out of thier scopes.

As far as the brightness goes, there is very little difference in the three, most people couldn't even tell the difference! So I would ask myself who has the best reputation first and second the best quality. I think you will find that Luepold will win that fight every time.

Ivan

I just went through all of this. And after literally hours of research, I chose a Burris. I honestly think it's made better than Leuopold. I know the optics are brighter... and that makes all the difference 15 minutes after sunset when that big buck walks past... I was out this weekend, and I honestly could see better looking through the scope than with my own eyes! The only thing Leupold has over Burris is they have a record of excellent return policy. But if you buy a scope you won't need to return... what does it matter? Besides, you'll save $100+ !!!

"I was out this weekend, and I honestly could see better looking through the scope than with my own eyes"

wow that is truely amazing you could see better with a piece of magnifying glass then with your own eyes.... its amazing what they can do now a days....
casey

My first rifle scope was a Bushnell, admittedly one of the cheaper ones. If you farted too loud it would move off of zero. I replaced it with a VX II and like it. If I were to do it over I might upgrade but it does hold zero well.

BeanMan

For those that care, Bushnell bought the Elite line of scopes from Baush and Lomb, nobody caved to bunny huggers they got purchased. Also you can't compare the $30 Walmart special Bushnell to an Elite 3200 or 4200. The Bushnell elites are very very good and well built scopes..

Just bought a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40mm last weekend and got it bore sighted today. It was the best for my eyes when I compared them to others, but not everyone has the same outlook when looking through these different brand names of scopes. It is what IS CLEAR TO YOU AND CAN AFFORD and nothing else. Good luck on your choice.

Brian

For those of you who do care and do like to know actual information... read the two paragraphs on the home page of BUSHNELL... They can't make anything worth buying them selves so they market it under someone eleses name, and I'll say it again BAUSCH & LOMB. Bausch and Lomb caved to bunny hugger and now market their same line of scopes with the Bushnell name on them. By puchasing Bushnell Elite scopes you are in fact letting the bunny huggers win!

http://216.239.41.104/search?q=cach...l.com/+Bausch+and+lomb&hl=en&start=4&ie=UTF-8

"Bushnell leads the market in all product categories. Bushnell has created the world?s best-known optical products for hunting, birding, spectator sports, stargazing and more, including sports optics marketed under the Bausch & Lomb? brand name"

Ivan

OK
All y'all are wack.
Just kidding.
As far as rifle scopes go I would tell you to check out Kahles or Swarovski. Both made by the same company, Swarovski Optik.
Kahles however is the oldest scope manufacturer in the world, Swarovski bought them because of their superior glass. Kahles are priced resonable. I would say the glass clarity and quality is on the same level as Leica. Too bad Leica does not make scopes any more. I would also recomend Talley rings and bases. The best in my book.
Just my two cents, for what it is worth.
Late

You wont regret it. I have had mine for two years and love it. Thinking about moving up to a higher power in the same scope.

- Hghcountry

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom