Which shooting sticks? mono or bipod?

UtahMountainMan

Hey guys - I am wanting to pick up some shooting sticks this week. I am rifle hunting for deer for the first time since I started bowhunting in 2005. I am in the market for sticks and I have never used any before. They seem like a great idea.

So, do I want mono or bipod? Do I want sticks that extend out to 60" or higher?

I am not going to be hiking more than 3 miles from my truck to the area I will hunt. I carry an eberlestocks x2 pack so I can strap them to the pack if needed. I think there are mainly 2 instances I would use them: 1) while hiking into or out of my area if I come across a buck while hiking and I want to quickly get set up and take a hot within 15 seconds or so and 2) while I am sitting for the morning and evening hunts for 3 or 4 hours at a time I would like something to set up and get steady on.

I cant decide if I want to go light and small and get a set that I can pack in or if I want one that extends to 5 feet or so that I can use as a hiking stick and shoot off of standing.

I would love to hear from some of you that love or hate your sticks and what you would do.

Thanks guys!

Good luck to those who are headed out.

Rocks and trees are quicker BUT if not available, I belief the mono-legged would be of little help. It's obvious that the more legs on the ground, the steadier. I agree....use the two-legged variety.

They work VERY WELL to steady binos, too. I don't think they need to extend higher than is necessary to take a kneeling or sitting shot.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

I made some out of some old graphite golf shafts I had layin around. incredibly light and great to throw in the pack. I'd recommend shorter ones, lots of instances where I was glad I could throw those things in the pack and glad they were light.

You want the Stoney Point Pole Cats tripod. I know I'll get shot down on this. I've used mine in Africa 4 times as well as the states. Not everywhere you hunt has rocks or trees and you often have to shoot over tall grass or shrub. I'm 6'2" tall and I can stand straight up and have shot out to 350 with confidence. I have also used the Harris bipod but it adds weight to the gun and sometimes will not go high enough.

I just got a BOG-POD Pod Red legged devil. I am amazed at how stable they are. They are a tri pod and the way to go IMO.

How about a Primos Trigger Stick, seems like they might be the answer and a quick adjustment on height need and can use as a climbing stick too....just a thought.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Over the years I have used all three systems at one time or the other and each of them have their advantages and disadvantages. The Mono stick is nice because you can use it when you are in a hurry and need to take a quick shot. I feel that I can get just as much if not more support from a neat by tree. Even with the mono stick I would question the support needed to take a 300 yard plus shoot. The bipod is going to be the steadiest of the three options and by far the best when shooting long range. The downside to the bipod is the added weight and the time it takes to get set up. Not to mention you may not be high enough to clear the brush. The shooting sticks seem to take advantage of both the bipod and mono sticks. They are fairly quick to setup up, give you reasonable support (400 yard shoots), and are usually high enough to clear the brush. For must hunting situations now I prefer the shooting sticks.

400bull

I use long bipod and never worry about set up time as I always use it as a glassing rest and a walking stick-u will like this! You will never hand hold your binos again from the upright position.

I again recommend the Stoney Point Pole Cat. The bi-pod style is my favorite. I can shoot and glass off them. I can feed it through the belt on my pack and almost as fast as it takes to get the gun off my shoulder I can have the shooting sticks out and ready. I then kneel, open up the sticks and have a steady shooting platform. It is very fast.

I guide and when it is a rifle hunter I always bring my shooting sticks. They are adjustable and can be a lifesaver when you need to take that all important shot. Long or short shots can all benefit from shooting sticks. Put your back against a tree and adjust the sticks to the correct hight. Your front hand holds the V of the shooting stick and the fore end of your stock. Pull it and the gun in tight to your shoulder and your rock solid.

Rod

>How about a Primos Trigger Stick,
>seems like they might be
>the answer and a quick
>adjustment on height need and
>can use as a climbing
>stick too....just a thought.
>
>Brian
>http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Ditto to what kilowatt says and also I use mine to keep Binos steady when glassing. You can't beat the quickness of these, I've bought three pair since my guides keep falingl in love with them so I just give them to them as a gift.1manshow

For those who love the snipe pod, I have a brand new never used set. Make me an offer!

BTW, I use a harris swivel bi pod.

I bought a BOG-POD Red legged devil. The thing is too heavy. I bought it mail order and mulled sending it back but decided to keep it for when I'm goat hunting off my ATV or truck. It's definitely something you don't want to pack around...

I am old and have bad legs, so I use 2 hiking poles always.

"LEKI", is a brand that is designed for hiking and they have a pole for photo work, with a 1/4" screw in the top that fits cameras, spotters and will take the Stoney point rifle rest.

They far exceed the strength and stability of the basic "shooting sticks" on the market.

Just my opinion, but whatever you choose, you need to practice some with it's use, so when the conditions change you can adapt quickly.

"If God did not intend for man to hunt animals, he would have made broccoli more fun to shoot"

I make my own too. Probably cost 3 bucks and they work just fine. No heartburn when I forget them on the mountain. Mostly I use them for calling dogs.

I don't think a monopod would do me any good personally. I have used a Harris bipod for years.

I have owned almost all of the systems listed above and keep coming back to the stoney point shooting sticks. For backpack style hunting they seem to be the lightest most adaptable system.

Another vote for the Snipe Pod. I have the tallest sitting model and feel that if presented with a shot where I need to be standing, it is likely a quick, close range shot where sticks would not be needed anyway. Thus far I have shot an antelope at 490, a deer at 476, and elk at 351 and 321 off of the snipe. Very happy with them and see no need to shoot off anything else, ever.

)}-SLIVER-->

I use the Stoney Point - Rapid Pivot Setup.

prd_rp_sittting_kneeling.jpg

They click onto the bottom of your rifle and are a nice steady bi-pod setup that will pivot and you can adjust the leg length for hills, etc. VERY lightweight!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom