Which State for OTC Archery Elk

hikenhunt

What state has the best opportunities for success with a over the counter archery Elk tag in your opinion.

Some where that would give you a decent chance at getting a bull around 300 assuming a lot of hiking is OK.

OTC 300 inch Elk is hard in any state, some guys do it regularly, but they do a LOT Of home work and scouting.
With that said. I think Idaho, Colorado, Montana, and Wyoming all have that potential.

Some guys kill 300 inch Elk in Utah with an any bull tag, so it can be done there also.

Montana and Wyoming don't have OTC elk permits. They are both draw only for Non Residents and take two years to guaranty a tag.

That leaves Idaho, Colorado and possibly Oregon. Of those three which has the highest elk density on the OTC units?

I have another question. Which of those states OTC units has the least amount of thick brush? :) :) :)

Cheers,
Pete

silly elk only live in thick brush!!:)
4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Archery is a year round commitment!!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-28-09 AT 08:40PM (MST)[p]There are a lot of Elk in Oregon. I hunt it every year(non resident). Big Bulls otc are a tall order. This year I took a Spike and was proud as hell about it?.....LOL I'm hoping to do better in Montana?

www.albinovest.com http://huntfishwa.com/

Sorry I didn't see that you stipulated 300 class bulls. So in that case I would say good luck finding such a place where you can consistently find 300 class bulls with an OTC tag. But if you are looking to have fun hunting elk every year then #1 CO and #2 OR with ID in 3rd. Too many wolves and poor management in ID or it would push CO.

JR

I was just asking where there could be a chance at getting a 300 class bull.I have never killer a branch antlered with my bow so even a decent 5 point would be very awesome.

Thanks for your help.

I have only had experience with Colorado and Wyoming and Idaho but a 300" bull in either state is possible, but hard. Given that I have hunted Wyo quite a bit more than CO. So far I would have to say Wyo but I have hunted there for 14+ yrs. I have only hunted Idaho and it was one of the toughest elk hunts I have ever been on since there were almost no elk in the area and came home empty handed. But that just means I didn't do enough research :)
In wyo we hunt 300+ in bulls every year and I personally hunted a 370+ bull for 16 days straight this year but all I have is tag soup to show for it. My advice is just pick a state, then pick three - five units then get to work with the maps, phone, etc.

Good luck,

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom