Which state has best opportunity?

vanderb79

Now that most of the big game draws are complete and the number of "unsuccessfuls" has piled up, I'm curious what Western state has the best opportunities for residents? I'm thinking, if I could retire and establish residency, where would be the best place considering only big game hunting opportunity.

I know it's not AZ (live there now)or NM since I participate in those draws and realize that virtually everything is on a draw and the odds for a decent unit are long. Are there states that still have over-the-counter big game tags for residents? Could use any weapon (archery, muzzy or rifle) for the hunts.

Any input on other states would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bill VW

I would agree with Montana #1 and Wyoming #2.

No way it is Utah. When a guy may only draw one quality limited entry elk tag in his lifetime (and that may not even be possible based on current point totals and how old you are), that is NOT opportunity. Many other species in Utah are draw only and very difficult to draw as well. Even general tags in Utah are hard to come by now.

Don't laugh
Hawaii. Year-round axis deer, pig, mouflon sheep, feral sheep & goat, wild cattle. It certainly isn't as exciting as mulies and elk but it is year-round, no-limit, no-tags on most species.
After all, the question was " best opportunity"

No doubt. It is BC follwed by Alberta. I live in Wyoming and think we are next. After that, you'd better pick a species you really like. Could be Montana, Colorado or New Mexico. And never overlook Texas.

I'm surprised nobody picked Idaho, with "at least 90%" of the tags going to residents, and great OTC opportunities, plus world-class fishing and good bird hunting I would head there.

Lewiston and Pocatello were both in the Top 5 of Best Places to Live by Outdoor Life.

You can't hunt a top unit every year, but you can hunt a very good one every year as an Idaho resident.

Grizzly

Grizz:

I pick Idaho. Great opportunitys on general over the counter
tags. LE hunts are great as well. Not many monster elk but there is a lot of opportunity.

Not to steal the thread, but has anybody picked their own state as the best? (I didn't)

Or do we all suffer from Greener Grass Syndrome?

Grizzly

Ilive in mt and would pick bc if i could move anywhere if it had to be the lower 48 i'd pick mt hands down.

Opportunity and trophy potential for several species-

#1 Montana
#2 Wyoming
#3 Idaho

Utah would be towards the bottom of the list for the average Joe resident.

My vote would be Colorado. I moved here 2 years ago and I have killed one Boone and Crockett and one Pope and Young deer and 2 six point elk in those two years. Both elk were over the counter tags and one deer was a 0 point draw and the other was a 3 point draw. There are some great over the counter and 0 point areas to hunt here if you are willing to get away from people.

Montana has a 6 week archery season (elk rut) and a 5 week rifle season (deer rut) That's before you even apply for a controlled hunt. Greener Pasture Syndrome?

LAST EDITED ON Jun-12-09 AT 09:42AM (MST)[p]What specie are you talking about? I guess CO. MT. ID. would all be no brainers, but is this because of OTC tags? Every year AZ has OTC tags for deer, not just archery either, plus there are OTC tags for elk in AZ, granted the hunting is not usually the best. NM has very high success draws for many units, true that the "great units" are tough, but I guess that is everywhere. They also have LO tags, if you have the money. I guess you have to specify opportunity to hunt or to take a certain specie or quality of an animal. I think all states, when you really look at it, have equal opps, but the details is what makes the possibility seem remote.

Travis
www.southwesthuntingadventures.com

Eleven week general elk season, Eleven week general deer season, four and half months of bear hunting, you can draw antelope every season, best sheep hunting in the lower 48, more mountain goat tags than any other state, coupled with enough public land and wilderness for animals to get nice and old... I don't plan on moving any time soon.

You people that mentioned Wyoming are nuts, the reason you ask???

The more you chirp the worse our odds are!!!! LOL
Good luck to all.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-13-09 AT 09:40AM (MST)[p]"You people that mentioned Wyoming are nuts, the reason you ask???"

Have you ever lived in Wyoming rugarm77?

Did someone say Utah? What the,UTAH? Did you say UTAH! Must be a type-o.
Some have said BC & Alberta,I think the thread says STATE.

1-Wyoming, no draw for residents, with great otc opportunity.
2-Colorado, great opportunity for residents, even thou you have to draw there.
3-Montana

Hopefully no one believes me about Wyoming, its best kept that way.

If I were to move to a state soley based on resident hunting opportunity I would move to WY. If I factored quality of life for my wife into the mix it might be ID. Quality of game is lower in ID, but my wife would like it there better. Maybe if I moved to Evanston I would be close enought to SLC that I could keep my wife happy and still have WY residency. Most residents from WY have NO IDEA how good they have it, lucky buggers.

Dax

ill second RaghornHS and i completely agree with him. every year i have applied in NV i have drawn. many years i had multiple tags and the key is to archery hunt. if you hunt with stick and string, youll draw every year and will have opportunities on great animals, whatever the species. even the trophy areas in NV become realistic to draw with regularity if you hunt archery.

Happy Hunting

"the best place considering only big game hunting opportunity."

I could have swore that would be California.

Eel

>"the best place considering only big
>game hunting opportunity."
>
>I could have swore that would
>be California.
>
>Eel

Actually Steve Cali ain't bad if you have the connections.
I hear so many guys complaining every year that they cannot draw tags in their home state and so they save their money & go on one big out of state deer hunt for a week.
We get two over the counter buck tags and one OTC bear tags per hunter.
I start the year bow hunting blacktails in July, the local blacktail season runs through the end of September and then pick up a rifle in august or hunt up in the mountains near you in September.
October opens up seasons throughout the west and by then I've usually been deer hunting for three solid months and am tuned up for mountain hunting.
In my opinion Cali ain't that bad if you can work the system.
HH

>LAST EDITED ON Jun-13-09
>AT 09:40?AM (MST)

>
>"You people that mentioned Wyoming are
>nuts, the reason you ask???"
>
>
>Have you ever lived in Wyoming
>rugarm77?
>
>Did someone say Utah? What the,UTAH?
>Did you say UTAH! Must
>be a type-o.
>Some have said BC & Alberta,I
>think the thread says STATE.
>
>
>1-Wyoming, no draw for residents, with
>great otc opportunity.
>2-Colorado, great opportunity for residents, even
>thou you have to draw
>there.
>3-Montana
>
>Hopefully no one believes me about
>Wyoming, its best kept that
>way.

No I have not lived in Wyoming. I think you missed my point.. Think about it maybe someone can help you. BTW yes I am hunting Wyoming this year,,,,,, Does that give you a clue??? LMAO

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom