which tripod is better?

offhuntn

I am looking at buying a new tripod, I have looked at the Swarovski, Manfrotto/Bogen tripods, one salesman said the the Swarovski tripod is made by Manfroto, they are all very nice tripods but I like to pack mine with my spotting scope when I hunt, they both seem heavy and bulky. Manfroto makes a lightweight carbon fiber model but its a little pricy. I looked in Sports Warehouse and they had a Bushnell that was new out this year. I seemed like a pretty nice tripod, only around $120 or $130. Has anyone used this one and if so does it compare with the higher end tripods? I understand that the head wont be as nice but I am only putting a spotting scope on it. I also wondered if the Swarovski spotting scope will fit on it without the adapter, thanks for the help!

The swaros will fit.

But, you said, "I understand that the head wont be as nice but I am only putting a spotting scope on it."

You better rethink that. when you crank it up to 30 or 40 power or more, with a slight breeze, you'll find out how important a good head is, when your scope is jiggling around so bad you cant see points.

anyhow, the swaro tripod is good - just dont use the center columb when there's air movement. I think a small carbon tripod is the way to go if your going to pack it around - along with your hunting gear. I'd say buy the best yo can afford but one that you will take with you.

I know there are guys on here that use other brands of carbon tripods - I dont, I use bogan and gitzos, but they say they are nice! They also are about 500% cheaper!

You can get away with an inexpesive carbon tripod if youre not planning to use it every day. . .

My hunting buddy has a a Velbon Sherpa 600RA w/ the 390RC2 head on it. That's about as light, short and sturdy as you'lll get.

I actually got the bogen/manfrotto 3001BD tripod with the 390RC head. It's a hair heavier but still nearly as light as you are going to go. We both have Swarovski 80mm spotters.

I second what TFinalshot said. Those crappy cheapy's will really being bouncing all over when the wind is blowing. If you are going to have nice optics why cut yourself short with a crappy tripod. Currently Manfrotto is having a $25 refund if you buy a head and tripod combo. I got mine from Eagleoptics.com

I never thought that the head would make a difference in the wind, I thought when you moved the scope around thats what the better head was for, thanks for the info I keep shopping.

I have a bogen for non back pack trips and a slik composit for lighter needs. Both are on the expensive side, but I think it is better to cut corners on other not so sensitive and important equipment. At least that is my 2 cents on the topic.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom