Whitails in Idaho

G

Glen (Guest)

I know this is a mule deer site , but I m headed to Idaho to
hop'elly get a 150 plus whitetail. Headed to Dorshawak res.
Antybody have information TOhelp me? I live in FRedonia , Az.
tHE kAIBAB AND ARIZ. STRIP. CAN GET YOU ON BIG DEER IF YOU
DRAW THE TAG. LEETS TRADE INFO

Was up there at Dworshak last spring chasing turkeys. Saw a load of whitetails. They were everywhere. Can't give you any specifics on where to get a big one. Never been up there this time of year. We took a boat and camped at the primitive sites up the lake. Mighty steep country. Call the guys at the Corps of Engineers and they're help you out.

There has been a blue tongue (?) outbreak in the whitetail herds in the clearwater area. In certain area's, up to 80% of the herd has been killed. It seems that the primary areas are the clearwater river corridor from Orofino to Kamiah. Orofino is where Dworshak is. I live in SE Idaho, so I can only tell you what IDFG/new are saying, however it sounds like the primary area where they found it was along the river.

That being said, I don't believe every area was effected. I would contact the Idaho Fish and Game before leaving on the hunt. I would also plan on hunting the more remote areas. Hunting behind Dworshak is a good suggestion.

A few years ago I killed a high 140 class "10 point" near Kendrick (near Orofino). There can be some good hunting up there.
Lance

4 years ago while I was in school, there were quite a few large bucks above Potlatch Id. Just remember that if you spook any of these deer they tend to return to the same area. So just sit down and wait they will come back.

Stan

Your chances are good almost anywhere in northern Idaho. We are a sleeper whitetail state. A couple seasons ago a friend of mine killed a B&C nontypical just outside of Challis. Thats in central Idaho. You don't see many around Challis, but ther is actually quite a few up and down the river bottoms. Good luck!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom