whitehorse deer

baltz526

if you are hunting the whitehorse unit for deer this year, i was lucky enough to draw it and have 15 days blocked out for the hunt. i'm on my own and plan to hunt it hard for a mature buck. I might share camp with some nonatv fanatic deer hunters if a plan can be arranged.----------------------------------------------------------------support your local guzzlers. OHA life member,lapine oregon

I wish you the best of luck. I have the late archery tag in November. Hopin for a little weather on the Idaho side to push them out of the mountains, I use to hunt the archery hunt but have since tried somewhere else since the deer population has go down the toilet. I really think the canyon might have a big buck. Tough area to access and lots of country. The area around Parsnip peak will have lots of atv'ers and not many deer, the soldier creek area is an option, again not many deer. I have been in the rattlesnake canyon and ten mile canyon, looks good with a few deer, I haven't seen a good deer over 170 in a long time in that country. Look long and hard. Scout, Scout and Scout some more. I am sure there are some big deer left, but where?

i know where i'm hunting, i might even see a deer. If not, well my freezer will hold another cougar or some chukar-----------------------------------------------------------------support your local guzzlers. OHA life member,lapine oregon

Glad you got a spot, do yourself a favor and keep it to yourself. You might get to enjoy it a few more times. But then again hunting is about being with friends and enjoying the best of pastimes.

Best of luck on your hunt, Keep us in the loop.

Scott

20 days and i'll be setting up the wall tent, 50 plus miles from pavement. 2hrs from the nearest gas station, 3hrs from nearest grocery store. 1hr from the nearest gravel rd.

you just narrowed your spot down. Now I know exactly where the honey hole is... see you there.

JK - I'm hunting up in the Heppner area this year.

yes that gives exact area. whitehorse unit is as large as some eastern states with 2track rds that you travel at 6mph. you might be able to figure out the corner of unit i'm hunting but do you have my scouting map showing showing 30 planned hunts

Let us know how it all ends up. A friend of mine has the late muzzy tag and we are very much looking forward to the hunt. Hopefully lots of snow to push them down and out of Idaho.

Good luck.

NS

There are some nice deer in the unit, in the last three years I have got a 5 pt 165 score and last years 4pt 180" with huge mass. All have been taken on public land. I feel the better hunting begins on about day five as people leave and the big boys start showing up. Good luck, should be fun

Back
Top Bottom