Whitetails in Wyoming

hikenhunt

I'm hoping for some guidance on hunting whitetails with a rifle. Anybody have some general info on units or general geographic areas ? I've never been able to hunt Whitetails but have wanted to for awhile.

I'm thinking an over the counter tag if possible in an area where there's a decent chance of getting a 3 to 4 point or better (Eastern count). Public ground type hunt.

I saw a heck of a good whitetail near the river duck hunting last weekend. Yer probably spinning yer wheels for whitetails in this state. Most are found on private ground and you'll be chasing them with every yocal in the country for the few places they can be found on public ground...

My first trip to Wyoming was for whitetails back in the 70's. We found "PLENTY" of nice whitetails on public property south and east of Sundance near the Dakota border. I seem to remember a place called Moskee nearby.

I'm sure times have changed since then but the public land that we hunted was mostly timber, not the river bottom farm land that you see on tv but is probably still public land and was near void of other hunters. That tag was our third choice and we were told, easy to get at the time.

I passed on at least 10 different bucks before taking a nice heavy 8 point(eastern count). The next day while helping my partner with his buck, i jumped up a huge whitey that i still to this day, can't hardly believe how big his rack was.

Good luck in your search

Joey

Go to the Foest Service office in Sundance and see the bucks on the wall.They were all taken on public land.

The area Southeast of Sundance is mostly Blackhills National Forest and has a good number of Whitetails. Access is good but you won't get lonely if you know what I mean. That is deer region A. Go on the Wyo game and fish website to get tag info. GOOD LUCK. cHIP

ChipC, Thanks for the info! I was curious about that country for some time, if was still accessible and as good as it was back then. We must have gotten real lucky in that we had just parked along side a main access road and walked a half mile or so, straight into good hunting. We were hunting the deer bedding areas. I don't know that they left there for feeding or not but we found them bedded in fairly thick timber. Sneak and peek, very slow, worked for us. We busted out several nice bucks before we could spot them and the sight of them running hell bent, crashing thru the dry downfall with their white antlers flashing in the odd streams of sunlight that flowed down through the timber. It was very excitable...at least!!

My partner and i had quite the night life in Sundance. Lively town back in those days. For a couple single guys in our low 20's with a few extra dollars in our pockets, we could't ask for more. You didn't have to search out a pretty young lady to dance with, they found you!! That whole trip was excellent but there are lots of great places to hunt in our Country and we never returned.

During our after hunt social activities out on the town, we continually meet up with several other groups of guys from other states. Some of them really got bent over the barrel as far as having to pay for access or "guided" hunts for Does and young bucks. I know there are very reputable outfitters and guides in that whole region these days but one might be careful if making a deal over cocktails in one of the local bars.

Joey

Just had a friend return from hunting south of Sundance and he also said it was his poorest year ever for deer.He came home with tag in his pocket.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom