who ealse dislikes matthews

4x4elk

this may be a can of worms i shouldn't open!!!! but here it goes i have nothing againest the matthews but i am tired of hearing about how great they are. i have shot them and yes there right it's bow. but that in my opinion is all they are that and a huge unbelievable price tag.. i had a guy tell me the other day there so good he can't keep'em in stock. but for the last year on every stinking outdoor or mens channel hunting show thats all the addvertisments are for. i am just venting because i was not that impressed last week when i shot one it did not feel right to me and the price scared the sh!t out of me! but for you guys that do shot them and like them then good for you. i just didn't like them thanks for letting b!tch and moan for a minute mack

There are several bows that are just as expensive as Matthews bows. And in most hunting mags I look at, Hoyt has many, many ads as well. There is a very good chance the reason that guy can't keep them in stock, is because you (and many others) are seeing them advertised everywhere, ads sell. Matthews has a lot of ads = a lot of sold bows......oh yeh, they are pretty darn nice bows too. :)
Different strokes for different folks I guess, shoot what feels right to you and shoot straight.

Lien2

Everyone has their own opinon on whats the best.I for one live and breath Mathews. Its ok not to like them. Lien2 is right they advertise Hoyt just as much. I myself have never shoot a Hoyt but Im sure they are good bows. And yes the Switchback is very popular this year and hard to keep on the shelf. Its ok give me hell. The Hoyt guys uually do anyways. What kinda bow do you shoot? Have a great day!>>>>>>>>>>Sharlin

LAST EDITED ON Jul-12-05 AT 03:20PM (MST)[p]I hate my LX and my Conquest 3!!! They way they so arrogantly put arrows in the center of the target! It seems like every time I make a good shot the arrow is right there in the center of the target, piece of crap!

Those who don't like Mathews have not shot a Mathews. If you do not like Mathews keep your negative opinions to your self.

Many companies make great bows, Mathews, Hoyt, as well as many others. If you take Parker as an example, they have a very negative ad running right now bashing the price of the Switchback, is it hurting the sales of the Switchback? I doubt it. The reason is because people tend to look past the label when test shooting a bow and decide on the merits of each bow not by the sticker on the limb.

Shoot what you like and keep the negativity to yourself!
Henry

Ive shot Mathews,Bowtech,Browning,Hoyt,and Martin.... For the price and how it feels I'll take a Martin anyday...200 to 300 les ...just as fast and smooth as a Mathews.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-12-05 AT 05:48PM (MST)[p]Did you actually shoot the Mathews at over 15 yards? The reason I ask is because I bought my Mathews LX last year and when I was in a shop shooting at a bag 10 yards away there were a lot of bows that "Felt" good. But, I am here to say that buying the Mathews was the best thing I ever did (related to bowhunting). Once I got it out on the range and on the course it showed it's potential. It is the most accurate bow I have ever shot and gives me twice the confidence when shooting it. My groups were 1/2 the size from the Reflex I had before the very first time I shot it. The real sign for me that this bow is right on is that I don't have to change one thing when switching from field points to broadheads. Not one thing, I can just change the tips and hit the exact same spots!!

If you are really questioning their worth I suggest you get one out on the range and compare your groups out to 50 yards with some other bows. Then see what you think

I'm brand new to bowhunting.
I bought a 2004 Bowtech and cannot imagine anything shooting any better.
I had put off taking up archery because I had figured that it would be too difficult.
Well after I took the plunge, I am just stunned how a rookie like me can pick up a good bow and with about a months worth of practice, consistently drill the bullseye at 60 yards.
I even had my first 'Robin Hood" some time back.
Yes I'm a Bowtech fan, but I have a good dealer close by.
I've never shot a Mathews, but they must be good too.
I think this is the old Chevy vs. Ford argument.
HH

I don't get involved with many of this type of thread, but this one got me. I bought an Outback when they first came out and I love it like Bill Cosby loves Jello. I have had Hoyts, Brownings, PSE's, Oneidas, and a Bear, but nothing touches the Outback.
Before I bought it I shot the Hoyt Vipertec & Razortec, AR, Bowtech, Kodiak Outdoors, Martin, and Darton. The Mathews just felt so much better to me, and the Kodiak Outdoors was a close second. Third choice would have been the Vipertec.
Shoot what you like. I like my lifetime waranty and not having to re-tune since I bought it. To me it's like comparing go-karts to NASCAR.

Yo Twirp.
(funny, That is the name of my dog)
I have a real good bow with the best of sights, rests and releases.
I have been shooting from known distances with mostly field points.
NOT hunting conditions and guessing distances.
(I did however drill a coyote about twenty minutes into my first real hunt)
You know what, I am the first to admit that there is uncountable numbers of people that are better at things than me.
What I do not do however is try to bullshit anyone.
I don't need to do that.
I do not mean to try to say that archery is easy.
I mean to say that with today's gear that it isn't rocket science.
You sight in, set your pins at the desired yardages and shoot.
Not much different than rifle shooting in my opinion.
I'm sorry you find it so difficult.
I'm sorry you find the need to call a person a liar because they seem to find something they are good at.
The challenge in bowhunting is stalking in close to a wary wild animal, not shooting a styrofoam target at set distances.
That's all.
HH

LAST EDITED ON Jul-13-05 AT 00:55AM (MST)[p]You almost had me BC Boy.
I was about to make a rant about how you just can't win on this site anymore.
It seems that if you don't post pictures, you get called a liar, if you post pics of your many successes, you get called a braggard.
Makes you feel like checking out altogether sometimes.
Anyway, I'm really diggin this bowhunting/archery stuff.
I found a system that works and am sticking with it.
You can call me a braggard when I post up my first archery buck.
(Sometime very soon I suspect)
PS. Do you miss Junior???

Bows are a lot like baseball bats and women. You find one that feels good in the hand, swings nice, has good balance, has nice lines, little vibration (or more depending on situation), looks good to you and presto that's the one you want! You will always shoot a bow that you have the most confidence in better than a lesser model. All the companies today make better bows than you could buy 5- 10 years ago. Somebody starting out today has much better equipment and will pick the sport up relatively fast compared to yesteryear. The scores in archery today are proof that they are making great quality products.

Even though I don't shoot a Mathews today I'll have to say I have in the past and they do make a good product. But there are some great products out there at lower price points that will work as well. Part of the price of a Mathews is comprised of the marketing and prostaff expense and a proven marketing model. Most of the larger companies have had to duplicate Mathews' marketing today to maintain their market share. Advertising costs money and it most definately increases sales if you have the product to back it up. I would say that Mathews falls into that catagory kind of like Ford, Chevy and Dodge.

Holy crap I wanted to see if i could cause a few guys to take some rolaids and see how many people would defend there bow's. Yup you all bit.. I just put a switch back on layaway.. Probably won't shot it for hunting this year because I'm not the natural like Harry ( just teasing ) but my old pse still hit's the target and I like about 4-6 months of practice with a bow befor I start to hunt. It's always nice to throw something negitive out there and see what the out come is.. Thanks guy's for reasuring me I bought a good bow. Mack P.S. have fun this hunting season..

Seems funny to me that dalejr and bctwirp both like to call others liars.....hmmmmmm wonder how that happened? Why dont you leave this site bctwirp you disgust me and everyone else or should i say dalejr? Gary

We need to thank everyone that doesn't shoot a Matthews because they are leaving more deer in the woods. Ed F

I'f I remember correctly mathews says that they are priced due to their quality. They don't lower the price to sell a few more bows here and there. I'm a hoyt man by nature, I love hoyt. I have never even concidered a different bow other then a hoyt because true to the fact, I am a loyal customer. But, After shooting the New mathews Switchback, I have to honestly say it is better then my Cam 1/2 from Hoyt. It is a very comfortable bow, very true to the mathews name. Mathews is as big as they are because of their quality. And in my book they deserve some kind of recognition from all of the hard work they have put into their products. They choose Quality over Quantity and in my book that is a true hearted company. Anyone can make a bow. It takes a lot of determination to keep your quality up for 15 years and still be up at the top of the food chain.

-Cass

LAST EDITED ON Jul-13-05 AT 07:12PM (MST)[p]For the record, if you are having problems with accuracy, it may be the bow you are using is not right for you.

I first started archery hunting 8 years ago and within 2 days, I was hitting the bullseye consistently. I was shooting a Matthews Q1 and I still have the bow. I purchased an Outback last year and it did not take long to get it dialed in... I agree with Harry, with today's technologies it is not that difficult to drill the bullseye after a short period of practice.

Now if you want to talk recurves, etc. then it's a different ballgame. I have had a lot of success with my bow and I attribute it to 2 things.

#1 A group of dedicated engineers have spent a lot of time developing modern compound bows to be extremely accurate.

#2 Spending a ton of time outside getting to know the animals I hunt.

The shooting is the easy part, it's finding them that's challenging.

I guess I don't it. I merely posted my opinion. I'm not tooting my horn or anyone else's. I just happen to think that the bow mnufacturer's make it fairly easy to shoot now days. I'm not into archery competitions, but I shoot just about every night with my 3 boys and I really don't care if you have a stick stuck somewhere and feel compelled to take shots at me for no reason. Good luck in the future with your shooting and your attitude.

Well said chukar, never mind the little bas*ard that keeps trying to ruin this site. Gary

My Hunting partner and I both got new bows he got a mathews and I bought a parker. We shot side by side last night and I have to say that his bow is smoother but mine is lighter and faster. and a hell of a lot cheaper.Both bows are set up identically.

"The only easy day was yesterday"

BCTWIRP, why is it you so freely attack these guys? Harry has a trophy room that if you could equal you'd be proud. It's nice to see his interest in archery and that of Chucker as well. How could you possibly judge the skill level of their shooting when you haven't seen them shoot? The fact that they are shooting is a big plus and a credit to the sport. These are family men with good values and represent archery and hunting well. There's a lot of wisdom and help to be found on this site if you give it a chance. There are some really great people out there and they always seem to pull together to help a fellow hunter. So why not give the frontal attack bit a rest or issue a challenge to us to step up and demonstrate your skills to see if you can walk the walk. If you think you can fine, but actually showing it is another matter. I'd be willing to bet you that quite a few of these guys and gals can shoot 3D rounds that you'd have to work at to beat. In fact there's a couple of women that shoot in the unlimited class from the mans stakes in the 380+ range for forty targets and that's hard to beat as well. This is supposed to be a forum of fun, thought, and assistance and not belittlement as you have seen fit to make your platform.

Thank You for the tip of the hat Boskee.
I'm pretty new at this archery thing and really don't mean to come off as a braggard.
I am thrilled that I am able to shoot my bow well.
I was really lucky that it just all came together for me.
I just lucked out in putting the pieces together.
I mispoke when I said that I consistetley hit the "Bullseye" at 60 yds.
I really didn't know the bullseye was in reality so small, I used the wrong terminology, on my target it is about the size of a grapefruit or a touch larger.
I just got a little upset when a stranger calls me a liar.
I have always strived for honesty in my life, wether in the real world or on the internet.
I've always backed up my talk with photos.
Thanks again to my friends here at MM.
HH

Elkcrzy1 has this "Twirps" number. He is not "BCBOY" he is "dalejr" continuing to make a jerk of himself. He's just trying to give BCBOY a bad name because he gave him such an a$$ kicking in another thread.

Harry,
The regulation size for a "bullseye" at 60 yards is only slightly smaller than a grapefruit. You are doing grest! Don't let an immature idiot piss in your chili. Keep practicing, and keep improving. You will find that once you get your basic form down (Which it sounds like you are well on your way) that the biggest improvements will be mental.

When you start to build more confidence at 60 move to 70 then 80 it will make those 40 yard shots that once seemed so daunting look like chip shots.
Henry

Just a few quick thoughts on the mathews vs Hoyt vs bowtech etc debate:

1. Are Mathews overpriced? Sure they are....but so are Hoyt and Bowtech and many others. I believe I read somewhere that somewhere in the neighbourhood of 20% of the price of your new bow goes back into advertising....this is not unique to Mathews, they all do it at varying levels but I would think the big 3 are pretty close.

2. As far as one bow being more "accurate" than another.....that has absolutely nothing to do with bow quality and everything to do with the fit and tune of the bow. Almost any bow on the market today will outshoot any of us...even the most accomplished among us. If you put a $1000 Switchback and a $300 PSE and tune them both up and put them on the shooting machine they will both shoot arrows into the same hole all day long....can any of us say that, I doubt it.

Bottom line is that with the 1000 or so varibles that go into setting up and shoting your bow, the "quality" of one bow vs another is a moot point because they will all shoot to perfection if you can. Stop worrying about whether or not your bow is good enough and spend your time ensuring your bow is tuned properly and practice all you can....maybe one day you will reach 90% of your bows ability if your lucky!!

Chris

Ok,
Let me explain you moron.
It means that I am new to the sport.
It means that I was lucky to get some good advice on a good bow to buy.
it means that I was lucky in picking a bow that seems to fit me perfectly.
It means that I was lucky to have a friend as a Bowttech dealer that helped me with good advice on which accesories to equip my bow with.
It means that that I lucked out all the way around and when all the pieces came together, I was drilling targets at ranges I never thought would be possible.
I'm not going to even justify your attacks on my honesty.

(Special Note To Brian Latturner)
Brian,
As I am sure you are aware, There is a serious disruptor on your site.
This individual is making false statements and making attacks on many of this site's most popular contributors.
I have heard from other members that are so tired of the attacks and childish behavior, that they are not going to log onto this great site until the disruptors are gone.
The bottom line is that these people (person) are in the long run going to cost you money.
I really hope that you can upgrade your software to permanently ban troublemakers like this.
Until then I believe you are at risk of losing members.
Thank You.
Respectfully
HunterHarry

I have two friends that I introduced to archery hunting this year one of them bought a new bow and one of them is using my old high country. within two weeks one friend was shooting really well at 60 yards the other one is still struggling at 30 yards after 2 months. some people are naturally gifted and can pick things up very quickly and others have to work harder at it if Harry says he is drilling the bull after 1 month @ 60 yds. doesnt seem that hard to believe to me

LAST EDITED ON Jul-16-05 AT 00:03AM (MST)[p]BCwannabe, Whats got you so inflamed toward humanity? If you really act like the way you're coming across on this website, my sincere condolences. I can't believe that you're really like this to people. Is your life so miserable that all you can find pleasure in is the constant degradation of your fellow man? There's better things to do in life than to focus on becoming a disruptive force. Please go shoot your bow and relax and enjoy life.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom