WHO SHOOTS A 28 NOSLER???

Thoughts?

Pro's?

Con's?

Likes?

Dis-Likes?

Expensive to shoot but you don't really shoot them for fun. Now a days it's actually nice having a niche caliber because you can escape some of the scarcity issues with the mainstream calibers. The heavy 7MM bullets are great for hunting and lots of options.

Dislikes, the 7 SAUM is not that far off it and in a short action if your chasing weight. If I was building today I would give the SAUM a serious look.

i love mine. flat, fast, and accurate. hits like a freight train.
spendy brass to reload. if one could find brass.
bertram, peterson, ADG are the better cases.

My .270 Weatherby was my go to rifle. I bought a 28 Nosler and love it. The only complaint I have is that I haven't found any factory ammo that groups well. With hand loads, it's the most accurate rifle that I've ever owned.

Only drawback is barrel life is atrocious. Not uncommon to only get about 650 rounds or so before throat is gone. Zeke even told me about a guy burning out a throat in his first 40 rounds not letting it cool between rounds.

At first it seemed like this was one of the only ammo on the shelf. It is now almost impossible to find, and brass is even more scarce.

I have an unfired rifle in the safe for 6 months now, and no ammo to play with. No bother, I have other rifles to play with, but strange that this niche caliber is being held back by lack of ammo and brass.

Hard to get excited about a nice rifle without any ammo...
Bill

Definitely a hand loaders cartridge, IMO. not a ton of factory loads available, but endless possibilities if you roll your own.

So far this year mine’s killed 4 coues deer, 3 mule deer, 2 desert sheep, a bunch of coyotes, a bobcat, and a fox. Last year it killed 3 mule deer and a couple bears. To say I’m happy with it would be an understatement.

Only drawback is barrel life is atrocious. Not uncommon to only get about 650 rounds or so before throat is gone. Zeke even told me about a guy burning out a throat in his first 40 rounds not letting it cool between rounds.
Check out the 26 nosler. My buddy smoked a barrel in 260 rounds. Carbon fiber too. Spendy

Several of us have them and if you use your head, it's easily good for 800+ rounds before accuracy slips too much. (accuracy is a fluid term since I've seen how some of you guys shoot! haha)

This means it's a helluva round for hunting but pizz poor for serious target work.

Shoot it hot and keep pouring bullets down the malleable tube and you're asking for poor barrel life. Shoot it a few times per year at targets and gongs and one (1) shot at each game animal and it'll last a lifetime of hunting.

Aside from all that, did I say it's a great hunting round?

Zeke

Sounds Like A Gun that REDDOG Could Destroy in just a few days!

He Loads Em HOT!
Loading them hot is different than shooting the gun when the BARREL is hot.

Yes, copious amounts of powder will promote barrel wear but its greatly exacerbated when the barrel metal is hot and subsequently shot.

Shooting a hot load is way different than shooting a gun while hot.

Zeke

YUP!

And REDDOG Does Both!:D

Loading them hot is different than shooting the gun when the BARREL is hot.

Yes, copious amounts of powder will promote barrel wear but its greatly exacerbated when the barrel metal is hot and subsequently shot.

Shooting a hot load is way different than shooting a gun while hot.

Zeke

That’s my caliber too, but I sure would like to find some 175 grain nosler ammo!
STW circa 1989. Took a little more work to get one back then.
986FE2EF-B29E-4D83-A8AD-6D45F6C79446.jpeg

I love mine! I've had it for about a year. It killed 2 elk (300 yards & 546 yards) 1 deer (130 yards) and an antelope (856 yards) all this past fall. It is extremely accurate. Mine shoots 1/4-1/2 MOA. It is also very deadly killing everything it touches quickly. With my area 419 hellfire brake it kicks like a 243 and weighs about 7.5 pounds with the scope. I honestly don't know of any other round i'd prefer more than my 28 nosler.

So a SAUM is magically going to be competitive with a 28 Nosler with each using lighter bullets?
No but it'll get 3 times the barrel life. Same difference between the 7 saum and 28 is the bigger 7mm wildcats vs the 28 Nosler...they csn get 3500 with a 195. There's always a bigger badder carriage out there...just wait a minute.

No but it'll get 3 times the barrel life. Same difference between the 7 saum and 28 is the bigger 7mm wildcats vs the 28 Nosler...they csn get 3500 with a 195. There's always a bigger badder carriage out there...just wait a minute.
I'm aware. My previous post was not meant to be taken seriously.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom