Who wears a helmet?

projp

LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-10 AT 10:35PM (MST)[p]Its been a rough couple of days. My sons friend was killed near Strawberry yesterday on an ATV while on the archery hunt.
I have never worn a helmet while hunting but I am seriously reconsidering. In fact I hardly ever see someone that is hunting with a helmet.
I wouldn't think of snowmobiling without a helmet, and I feel safer on my snow machine than on a wheeler.

Thoughts?

never have...never will. Sure am sorry to hear about your friend.

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

I don't care to have another law saying what i can or can not do.

Something is going to get me one way or another, sooner or later. If it happens to be from riding hat-less off some cliff on a atv, Yeehawwwww!!

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-10 AT 11:17PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-10 AT 11:16?PM (MST)

D13er you took the words right out of my mouth. I feel the same way about seatbelts, and seatbelt laws.
I too am sorry to hear about the accident, but I would hate to see a law mandating helmets.

Allphotosonthecamera3093.jpg

I wear when on a motorcycle, but am going much faster. I take it easy on the four wheeler, stick to roads and approved trails. If I was going on a trail known to be steep, I'd wear one. The four wheeler basically takes me where my truck could go, but saves the wear and tear on the truck.

projp you raise a good question. First off you are asking here mostly adults. I for one would not wear one. Now if you ask if my kids should I would have to say yes. I am sorry to hear about your sons friend that is truly a sad deal.

The difference between adults and kids is experience and knowing the limitations of a machine. Most kids have never driven? Putting them on an atv is fine but many don't realize the dangers.

My thoughts go out to the family.

Sorry to hear about that!

Soon as they make it a Law the price of Camo Helmets will skyrocket in price!

I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!

I don't but I just putt around my farm. Kids should always wear one but I don't like the government mandating it.

My wife says I'm a hipocrite but I won't wear a helmet unless I'm on a dirt bike or race 4wheeler. I won't wear a seatbelt (good at sneaking it on if I'm getting pulled over). My kids have a helmet on if they are riding their pedal bike in front of my house and don't go anywhere even short distances out of their car seats.

I know "its the law" and I should wear my seatbelt and a helmet but its my way of rebeling I guess. Its not effecting anyone elses safety so it should be my choice.
4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I agree with Rugarm.

nickman is right. I know a couple guys who were cited on Forest Service for not wearing a helmet. I bet it must be a bummer to have to take off your helmet before you shoot from your quad. Lots of deer get away in that space of time. Deer hunting is hardly worth it any more.:)

Eel

I didn't wear one in 2009 and was very lucky to not have had a major head injury. I only broke my leg and still have back pain occasionally after rolling down a 200 foot hill. The ATV went all the way to the creek, I went about half way. Wear a helmet!!!!!!

The only time Ive ever wore a helmet.

It was easter weekend I was riding a hopped up quad in the sand dunes. I was watching my roost while following one of my friends. I only looked back for one second when I looked forward I was going off a huge dune in 4th gear. I hit almost all the way to the bottom. The wheeler landed on top of me and broke the helmet. smashed so much dirt in my mouth I couldn't breath for a few minutes.

I take it much easier now when on a wheeler. I guess it comes with age. I like the grandpa bikes.

My kids will wear a helmet no matter what when they start riding!!

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

There are no big bucks in Utah! LOL

Never have and won't start. I've only snowmobiled a couple of times; wouldn't wear a helmet there, either. I don't wear a helmet on the motorcycle, either.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

I can see not wearing a helmet while hunting, most guys cruise slow enough while looking for deer that they don't have to worry about crashing, and a crash would mean they have to pry their fat lazy butt off the seat....so rule that out...

Justr...really bro? You have a wife and kids and don't wear a seatbelt? Just pray you never get broadsided and fly through your wife.....it affects more than you my friend....I got t-boned in my mustang once and without a seatbelt my passenger would have taken me out....bout did with the belt.

-----------------------------------------------
http://andymansavage.blogspot.com/

I got ticketed by the USFS here in Cali about 5 years ago. I was putting along a dirt road, checking out a new area, and pulled to the side when I saw the truck behind me. I argued my case saying it was rediculous to make a grown man wear a helmet when he's doing about 10mph on a dirt road on a 4 wheeler, but I might as well been talking to his truck. Cost me $80.
I also asked him if it was a state law, or a federal law. He said it was federal, so I asked why doesn't the USFS enforce it in other states. He said he didn't know. As I was leaving I said thanks for protecting me from myself, geez I could have died there.
I still don't wear one and I think it should be an adults choice, but I think it's a good idea for kids.

"The value of any trophy from the field depends not on its size but on the magnitude of the effort expended in its pursuit." ~ Aldo Leopold

I wear my helmet when out racing around the desert, but only sometimes while hunting. I do so because it's easier to teach the kids to always wear their helmets.
We all always wear seat belts.
My son is 13 now and he lives at the skate park doing bike tricks. Very few of the other teenage kids wear helmets and I know he doesn't "feel cool" sometimes, but he wears it to make me happy. Like I tell him, if he ends up dead or seriously injured, it's not just him who suffers.
I also make my kids wear snowboarding helmets after I took a nasty fall last year and busted up my arm. I proved that accidents can happen and things break....broken heads do serious damage.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

A helmet saved my life in a dirt bike crash. I always wear my helmet and encourage others to do the same. justr_86 this is just my opinion, but as a husband and father, you should take precautions to make sure youre around for your family. I think that it's dumb to have laws mandating safety measures like that, but I also think that seatbelts should be common sense. Wearing your seatbelt can affect others. You could fly out of your vehicle in a roll over and land on someones windshield or have them run you over or something.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-09-10 AT 00:26AM (MST)[p]For myself I've had motorcycles all my life depending on the laws of the land, and where I was riding determined whether I was going to wear a helmet. In town riding among the idiots I always wore one. On the highway hauling butt, and staying away from others not so much.

Bought the wife and myself quads a couple of years ago and still hardly ever wore a helmet. One day while riding, the wife freaked a little going up a steep hill, stopped her quad and let it roll backwards a little, while turning the wheels in an effort to turn it around and drive back down the hill. The rear wheel caught a rock as she was turning. Her weight and the slope she was on caused the quad to roll over on its side . She tried to dive off. But didn't quite make it. She hit the road on her stomach.The quad rolled on top of her breaking her ankle cutting her arms and hurting her back. But for some reason we had worn our helmets that day. I was never so happy in my life that we did, now we always do.

It took Fire and Rescue 2 solid hours to reach us and a medivac ride for her to Tucson. I didnt want to move her myself because we were worried about her back.

Went to Brady's funeral today and then spent the afternoon in the hills. He was great kid/employee and will be missed.

I have come to a few conclusions that seem to work for me.
I will start wearing a helmet when it would be stupid not to.
For me this is usually going to and from a hunting area probably going a little to fast and usually in the dark. I remember once in Colorado going about 15 miles on a combination of smooth gravel to 4WD trails when it was 12 degrees and dark. I remember thinking that if I had my snowmobile helmet my head wouldn't be freezing and later on I would have been protected from a serious slap to the face by a tree limb. At the time I didn't even think about going 40MPH on loose gravel with big trees a few feet away.
I am 58 years old, not a bullet proof 20 year old, but I still catch myself on the edge of control sometimes.

I probably will not wear the helmet when putting around camp, going slow and it is hot outside, or more likely when I forget it, (I still catch myself not automatically using my seat belt).

Thanks for everyone's input, especially the ones that didn't jump to conclusions with very little info.

Jeff

I totally disagree!

If it makes only one person stop and think about his helmet, seat belt, or his kids.............

>I totally disagree!
>
>If it makes only one person
>stop and think about his
>helmet, seat belt, or his
>kids.............

Or not drinking and driving....

No nothing to hide, at least nothing I know of. I just thought it was kinda like the mosque 2 blks. from Ground Zero. A little insensitive.

Then again its not really any of any of my business.

>No nothing to hide, at least
>nothing I know of. I
>just thought it was kinda
>like the mosque 2 blks.
>from Ground Zero. A little
>insensitive.
>
>Then again its not really any
>of any of my business.
>

Wasn't my intent to be insensitive. Simply thought it would be best if people knew the facts surrounding the event as they were reported, and was hoping it'd be educational, and maybe prevent something similar from happening to someone else in the future.

I'm truly sorry that Projp lost a friend, and I'm hoping maybe some guys read this thread and see the article and it influences them to be more careful out there and maybe make better choices.

Sorry about your friend! I don't wear one when Im hunting and using a ATV but I take it easy.If Im trail rideing I wear one and about 10 years ago in CA if I hadn't been wearing one I wouldn't be hear typing this. Had a car pull out in front of me I was on a Harley, it busted me up some but it also cracked the helmet and KO'ed me.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom