Why are the Nevada hunts so early?

208JBB

I dont understand why the hunts start so early? I have had several guesses, but I haven't been able to find any facts. Seems to me that the deer aren't done growing their horns until the third week of August, and the elk are not done until the Second week of August.

Here are a few of my guesses:
1)I assume durring the really dry years the animals dont make it to Sept, so hunting early at least thins the numbers???

2)Durring the dry springs the animals will eat off the summer vegitation to fast, hunting early thins the animals???

3)Nevada wants to get the early hunting dollars?

4)The heat in August consolidates the areas we have to hunt and makes it easier for the bow hunters to sit at waterholes?

5)The hunters requested to have an oppertunity at shooting game while in there red summer coats?

6)The hunters requested to hunt bucks with balls on the top of their horns?

7)There is a guy on the commission that owns a dry ice and Ice Chest company in NV and is making money on the hunters trying to keep their meat good?

This has to have been discussed before, so any links to old posts, or the actual facts for why NV does this would be great.

Thanks- JBB

i wonder the same thing....
doesnt make sense too me maybe some one could shed some light

I think it has more to do with season length. Now, deer season starts in August and runs until late October without many breaks. A later start would shorten seasons or eliminate hunts. Elk have a few season breaks but bulls and cows are pressed during the entire season mostly.
The price you pay for longer seasons I guess.
CB08

These deer grow very little if any after the first week of Aug. just because they still have velvet does not meen they are growing. Elk are done growing first of Aug also. I shot a bull in the Ruby's on Aug. 10th and he still had velvet, but was grown as much as he was going to get. most deer are velvet free by the first of Sept. and elk are about mid Aug.

NVMDF

LAST EDITED ON Jun-24-11 AT 04:27PM (MST)[p]So what is your problem with the seasons starting early?

I think its due to the season lengths and trying to fit them into one fall, while giving the animals somewhat of a break between seasons. The archery hunt starts aug 1 and runs a full month, one week later the muzzleloader season starts, one week after that season ends its early rifle, then late rifle, some units even have a late muzzleloader and late archery hunt in December.

I've archery hunted deer starting on aug 1 and didn't have a problem with it. Was it hot? Yes. Did I find deer? Yes. Did I hunt over water? No. Did I spend a lot of money on ice? Yes. Did I have fun hunting in August? YES!!! By this time most of the bucks are as big as they will get and are starting to change colors to their winter coat.

The archery elk season doesn't start until late aug early sep. The bulls are done growing by then. The last week of the hunt the Rut is normally starting in strong.

I've never hunted that early. I have seen bucks put on a few inches the first few weeks of august, but that was further north. I guess they are done growning earlier here.

I look forward to my archery hunt. I have 7 backpack trips planned and one drive planned just to get familiar with the roads. I'll be hunting area 10 solo, so if any of you other backpackers want to explore some "new" areas let me know.

Jeramiah

7 backpack trips! you must be excited. I grew up running around in the Rubys, it is pretty country, but the problem is those high country bucks are easy to scare and all that backpacking could be somewhat counter productive, as that has already happened in the more popular areas near easy access.

Very excited. I haven't had a NV Deer tag for 16 or so years. The last time I had one I didn't even have a drivers licence. I love hunting the high country and the rimrock desert. Guess this year it will be the high country.

Don't worry I'll be sneaky sneaky. I have big glass and am not afraid to use it.

Im not worried, I live in Wyoming, and they wouldn't give me a tag. Archery hunting is pretty fun in the Rubys, lots of deer. I had guessed you would be in your late 20s or early thirtys.

>It just gives you diaper packers
>more time to piss, crap
>and cry?

lmao.....x2

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Where do you come up with this stuff? >I dont understand why the hunts
>start so early? I
>have had several guesses, but
>I haven't been able to
>find any facts. Seems to
>me that the deer aren't
>done growing their horns until
>the third week of August,
>and the elk are not
>done until the Second week
>of August.
>
>Here are a few of my
>guesses:
>1)I assume durring the really dry
>years the animals dont make
>it to Sept, so hunting
>early at least thins the
>numbers???
>
>2)Durring the dry springs the animals
>will eat off the summer
>vegitation to fast, hunting early
>thins the animals???
>
>3)Nevada wants to get the early
>hunting dollars?
>
>4)The heat in August consolidates the
>areas we have to hunt
>and makes it easier for
>the bow hunters to sit
>at waterholes?
>
>5)The hunters requested to have an
>oppertunity at shooting game while
>in there red summer coats?
>
>
>6)The hunters requested to hunt bucks
>with balls on the top
>of their horns?
>
>7)There is a guy on the
>commission that owns a dry
>ice and Ice Chest company
>in NV and is making
>money on the hunters trying
>to keep their meat good?
>
>
>This has to have been discussed
>before, so any links to
>old posts, or the actual
>facts for why NV does
>this would be great.
>
>Thanks- JBB

I'm going to say its from all the time spent alone hiking, or the time spent working alone. Either way it end with me talking to myself a lot.

Any other reasons? Sounds like the consensus is just because of the length of seasons.

hahaha, talking to yourself keeps you sane for the first week then its all downhill from there. I hope you kill a pig up there JBB. If not you will just have to wait a year before I can bring you some of that juicy idaho elk meat.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom