Why do you hunt. what has retained you?????

billythekid

i am curious as to how folks got introduced into hunting, why they hunt, and what has retained them?

please share some experiences no matter what they may be. i will share mine tomorrow.

thanks.

Like most I would imagine, I was introduced to hunting by my father. I can clearly remember how excited I was at the ripe age of 6 when I was invited on my first Dove hunt. I was the bird dog on many Dove hunts.
At the age of 10 I was allowed to hunt deer and it was better than Christmas. Even though I didn't kill my first big game animal until I was 14 I was hooked early on.
The things that started me in hunting, spending time in hunting camps with friends and family are still what drive me today. Now it is my turn as I hunt with my 3 Sons. I find more satisfaction in helping my boys than actually hunting myself when they are in camp with me.

I must admit that this hunting bug has struck me harder than my Father or my Sons ever had it.

I am like Tagattracter. Real similar upstart. And I have the bug WAAAAYYYY worse than my dad. Makes you wonder why at that developmental moment some get it more than others. I have some psychological explanations for that but won't bore you guys. I do wonder if my 6 and 8 year olds will get as addicted. For their future wives' sakes.....I hope not LOL but with me as their father.....probably!

Exactly the same as above expect what retains me is my ADHD and the fact that the outdoors are the only place I don't feel like I need medication... funny but true!!!

Donnie

i was introduced to hunting by my dad. i could go into detail but i wouldn't be done for awhile. i was introduced at the young age of 2-3 yrs. i didn't get to hunt my first big game until i was 11. didn't fire my first round at a big game animal until i was 14. our family was in the outdoors all the time: cutting wood, fishing, hunting (big and small game), camping, etc....... i continue to hunt b/c i find it very relaxing and love the meat. i also enjoy the challenge. i am "retained" through constant exposure to the outdoors in any way and the relationships i build with those i am with while there.

AZWALKER,
I know you were kind of tongue and cheek but...good point. Hunting is a huge release for me from a hectic, high demanding, stressful work schedule. Doing what I love hunting or more importantly being refreshed in the outdoors saves me A LOT on medication expenses and/or therapy bills LOL!

Now that I have kids of my own I get a good feeling inside introducing them to hunting and fishing. It isn't just the valuable lessons that come specifically from the sport but it also provides a platform where I can teach them about OTHER (yes, there are other) important life lessons unrelated to hunting, fishing, or anything outdoors for that matter. This loss of bond time between father and kids is what is at the heart of much of the unraveling of our society these days in my opinion. So it isn't just that we take our kids and introduce them to the outdoors but it is being a good father to them all the time and then they will value the experience once they are out there with you. How many people love and cherish their hunting experiences as a youth if they were spent with a father they didn't love and respect? I would think not many!

There is my sappy soap box for the night. LOL

Whats really funny is its completely true. I was put on ritalin when I was a kid to help with school. I took it till I was out of high school. I hated it because when I did go fishing or hunting I didn't enjoy it as much. I personally believe that if kids with ADHD/ADD were taught differently and allowed to enjoy the outdoors more you'd see happier kids that learned how to be sucessful in a completely different way. I could go on and on about books I've read about genes and everything else but I won't bore you guys.

Donnie

I was introduced to hunting by my father also,as was before him ect.I moved to the country from the city when I was a teen.That's when I found out I was a country boy!Alot of people go to church to talk to GOD,I go to the wood's or the desert.One time I was canoeing the mississippi in northern mn and at that moment I felt like life could'nt get any better.Other then the birth of my two kid's.I hope I dye in the wood's.

Happy hunting

muskie

Unlike everyone else in the previous post.
I'm the youngest of 6 boys and NOBODY in my family hunts. My older brothers did like to shoot guns and they gave me a 20 ga. for my 10th birthday. I grew up surrounded by forest and I began to hunt with no concept of hunter safety, hunting laws, seasons, limits, etc. I was educated when a County Sheriff picked up me and a friend for shooting tree squirrels with .22's as we walked along a paved county road. Being a parent now I'm shocked that my parents gave me such free reign. I would never let a 10 year old loose with a gun. At 12 years old I bought a book on taxidermy and I never quit. I've been a full time taxidermist since I was a teenager. I'm 46.

My dad got me and my brother started. My dad was more of the weekend warroir because he was gone during the week working but on the weekends we were off either camping,hunting or fishing. Those were some of the best times of my life. My brother and I would dream of becoming hunting/fishing outfitters because we wanted nothing in life but to hunt and fish.

I remember my dad encourageing us to read as many hunting books we could read so we could learn how the PRO'S do it and about the animals themselves. In fact when I got my desert sheep tag in 1986 he made me read Jack O'conners books on hunting sheep in the desert hoping I would have better appreciation of the animal as well the history and habits of desert sheep.

Today I have two kids 1 boy (13)and 1 girl (9). My son has had three deer tags and has no interest in hunting because he thinks it's boring. Maybe someday he'll get the urge. My daughter on the other hand is a nine year old hunting machine. In fact the shirt she wore to school today reads "SOME GIRLS PLAY WITH DOLLS,BUT REAL GIRLS HUNT".

I was taught to hunt and fish by my dad and grandfather. The best memories of my life are being in deer camp with the family. Every year as a child I could always look forward to having two weeks off of school to go deer hunting.
I cant imagine what I would do if my sons decided hunting was boring. I started them young, and they dont play video games non stop so maybe that has something to do with them loving the outdoors so much. I would be devistated if they didnt carry on the family tradition.

Mesquite

Where can I get one of those shirts? My daughter can't wait to go hunting with daddy, but she has to get through the hunter safety course first. (Mom's orders) Signed her up today for a June / July class. She'd love a shirt like that.

My dad got me into hunting at a early age. My first bow was a 1/2" PVC with nylon string and boy could that bow sling a arrow out to hundred yards. I shot my first deer in Kaibab at age 12 and shot my first archery tournament at BEN Avery in 1985 winning a second place ribbon in the pee wee class. I still shoot many archery tournaments and hunt as much as possible.

I can remember hunting with my dad and older brothers. They would stick me on some saddle somewhere and off they would go. Even though I never got anything or saw anything for that matter I loved every minute of it. I don't have any sons to pass hunting along to but hopefully one of my 2 daughters will come through for me.

LAST EDITED ON May-13-09 AT 06:43PM (MST)[p]We were to broke to do anything else as kids

Now I am to broke(because of hunting) to do anything else but hunt!

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom