Why no Teflon products in barrels???

C

Coach Hunt

Howdy,

Well, I've heard it several times now. Don't use anything with teflon in it down in your barrels. BUT, nobody has ever explained why to me!!!! What is the reason??? Anybody know???

Coach

I've used teflon in barrels and could tell no harm whatsoever. No rust etc... BUT the first round was always WAY off. Sometimes taking 2-4 shots to settle in, especially at longer ranges.

Our own troops were hit by our arty with the same stuff. Cleaned and then lubed the arty barrels with teflon and then had a call in for close support. Initial rounds fell a few hundred yards short on top of our troops.

I'd say if you fouled your barrel you should be fine.

I'm back to testing it on a MZ barrel to see, best that I can tell the first shot is off (normally to the 3oclock side) and then after that it seems ok.

Jeff

BTW the chrono also indicates a much higher initial round velocity, which may explain the first few rounds being oddball.

File this in the "FWIW Column."

A friend, and serious BR shooter in my area claims that some big name competition shooter, ruined 2 Hart custom barrels using Rem Oil in them.

He uses Teflon on the outside of the rifle, but NOT on the inside.
I stopped using Teflon in my barrels.

Again, for those of you that use Teflon in your barrels and have suffered no ill effects, I'm just sharing some Intel.

The best oil for a barrel I have come across lately, is Montana Extreme Bore Oil.
This stuff, as well as all Montana Extreme products, is fantastic!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom