Why pack 50lbs in on your back?

adamsoa

After reading another post about someone packing in 50 lbs on my back I thought to myself why? I'd much rather have someone else do it.

goats3.jpg

goats2.jpg

DSCF0544.jpg

My first year of packing in I had an honest 90lb pack. That was without the small person hiding in the pack that took care of camp chores while we were gone.
Since then I've gone much lighter and found that goats do a lot better job packing than I do.
There was another smaller day pack strapped onto the back of the main pack------not something I would recomend.

openingdaybowhunt2005005.jpg

Mountin' goats, good one!
I hate the smell of them. It feels good to pack your own gear and know you did it yourself. Gives a person a since of victory defeating the mountain with your own two feet. I sure felt revived!! I don't think you would want to take goats to an area known to be habited with wolfs, coyotes, cougars, and bears. Poor little critters wouldn't survive the night. ;-) }> }> }>

"I shoot at wolves, I don't dance with them." :)
Stands With A Fist

I have a question regarding how you leave your goats while hunting. At least at this point I am assumeing you dont have them with you all the time but rather have leave them at camp?? No preditor worries or that they will take off somewhere? I would think that would be my bigest concern/worry while I was out hunting. I have been thinking of doing this myself and would like to hear your pro's and con's "if" any.

>Mountin' goats, good one!
>I hate the smell of them. It feels good to pack your own gear and know you did it yourself. Gives a person a since of victory defeating the mountain with your own two feet. I sure felt revived!! I don't think you would want to take goats to an area known to be habited with wolfs, coyotes, cougars, and bears. Poor little critters wouldn't survive the night. ;-) }> }> }>
>
>"I shoot at wolves, I don't
>dance with them." :)
>Stands With A Fist

Have you ever defeted a mountain with an elk on your back? I'll take help any day of the week! Besides, you can eat 'em if you get hungry! :)

Its not the wolfs, coyotes, cougars, and bears Im worrying about. Its the lonley guys thinking about mountin' them. :)

I like being to go up for a few days camp, pack in style and still feel like hiking all over the place when I get there. Good food can camp amenities are more fun when I dont have to carry them in.

They are interesting to take packing though. Elk really like them for some reason. We have been up into a herd of elk and had the goats walk right up to the herd bull. He gave them a weird look and then didnt pay any attention to them. One of the goats was only five feet away.
Deer dont like them with the packs but we've had deer walk right up too us with the packs off.

Actually yes, I drug out a cow elk out of that same canyon three years ago alone 3 miles back to the truck. Part of the hunting experience. I took back my pack to the truck, went back up with my rifle and empty pack, boned out the meat, and took her down.

Stands With A Fist

For Deer we leave them in camp. They highline pretty well.
For elk we sometimes take them with us. They are not noisy and the elk really do seem to like them. We've had nights, where during the rut elk came right into the camp. I had the goats trying to climb into the tent, and I was just waiting to get trampled by the bulls.
Nothing seems to bother them, we've been all over on the Front (not in water shed areas), Payson Canyon and Near Strawberry and nothing has bothered them. We have some friends who hit the Uinta's every year for a 100 miler and havent had any problems with predators.
They only have to water every few days, and will eat anything. After Christmas they take care of the neighborhood Christmas trees. For the mountains they are the perfect pack animal to me. I have one that is 220 lbs. He can carry 60 lbs all day. He can go higher if it isnt too far. The other ones carry at least 50 lbs. With a couple of goats I can pack in anything that I want......with me carrying my bow and optics only. On the way out I can easily do a deer in one trip and an elk in a couple if its boned and I am carrying my share.
They can also go anywhere. I have yet to hit an area that I can hike that they cant follow with a pack. Its amazing what kind of terrain they can go up and down. I've had them playing on cliffs with a full pack.
If you are really interested shoot me a message. I have a friend who rents them out. He is renting to a lot of hunters this year. You can try them out and see if you like them first.

>Actually yes, I drug out a
>cow elk out of that
>same canyon three years ago
>alone 3 miles back to
>the truck. Part of the
>hunting experience. I took back
>my pack to the truck,
>went back up with my
>rifle and empty pack, boned
>out the meat, and took
>her down.
>
>"I shoot at wolves, I don't
>dance with them." :)
>Stands With A Fist

I guess the word "drug" has me a little confused....but none-the-less, I still would use help any day of the week if it was an option.

Let me clarify... I drug my ass out with the boned out elk. That better?

Stands With A Fist

I know of some guys in Oregon that have them and they love them. A hunting buddy went with them and they hauled a bear out he said they were like dogs and followed them around. If you have a place to keep them it sounds like they work pretty well good photos. Some of us are just jealous..grin!

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.

If you want to carry my 50 lb pack around all day you can come hunting with me any day.

Archery is a year round commitment!!

I am thinking that Bowhuntswitharifle must be like 6 foot 5 and 260lbs and built like a linebacker from the Denver Broncos!!!

All I have heard from her posts are how big and bad she is and how you are stupid if you do this....stupid if you do that! She would never use help....packed out a WHOLE cow elk by herself!

I am thinking this must be one big bad woman!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never once said people were stupid or there ideas were stupid.
Lets see, I grew up on a working horse and cattle ranch, broke horses, rodeo, farm, move hay, hunt, fish, play football, basketball, softball. Played college softball. I am an independent woman that needs no big strong man to do my work for me. I'm 5'7 150lbs and pure heart. I don't need to be big to accomplish big things. No, I'm not a lesbo, just tough in alot of regards. Bench 145, squat 450, run 240 feet in 11.3 seconds.(around the bases) I love to box also. I am athletic and have a big heart. When I say I am gonna do something phyically challanging, I do it 110%
I am not big and I am not bad, you just want everyone else to think I'm a *itch most likely. Can't change your mind obviously. Think what you will, I just ask for you to think of me as one of the boys, not that chick or that lady in the ways of my gender ruling all opinions of who I am.

Stands With A Fist

I have a 7 month old alpine and a 7 month old toggenburg and so far the are a big headache. I have only taken them on one overnight trip so far and I could keep them off me at camp. They have no respect for my personal space. But I am really looking forward to when they finally grow up and can carry some weight. How old were yours when you started putting some weight on them? How often do you have to trim there hooves?

i have buddies with goats but they dont have the gear your goats have. where do you get your packs/paniards from?

BowHuntWithaRifle, I understand what you're saying. Because there was a time that I felt the same way. I was very independant and self sufficient. I never relied on anyone but myself, especially when it came to hunting on the mountain. If I was man enough to shoot it, I was man enough to pack it out. If I couldn't pack it out myself I didn't shoot it. Nothing wrong with that! It has its own rewards, as you know.

Now that I'm almost 60, I can tell that it has made me stronger both physically and mentally. But it has taken its toll physically. Looking back now, maybe it would have been better to use my head a little more and my back a little less!:)

Eel

Those are awesome pics! Goats have peaked my interest for quite some time......We have a couple llamas and used them quite a bit for elk hunting....Great to have a critter that can pack out game for you......There beyond their packing prime though...pretty much backyard decorations now. Maybe time to start researching goats....

Looks like a good way to travel.
I would make sure that the area that I traveled in did not have a population of Wild Sheep. I've read that not only domestic Sheep but also domestic Goats carry the Lung disease that can wipe out a herd of wild Sheep real Quick
Something to think about.
Willybbig

that one with the big horns in the second pic looks like an ibex be careful in new mexico!!!

I have heard many guys say nothing bothers my horse, my mules, my llamas, everything changes when one of these walks into camp.
Tender little morsels if you ask me.

489e1b644c4f8ff3.jpg

that's when its a good thing they are highlined and I can run.

As for pack gear there some great places in Utah, Idaho and Washington that sell packgoat gear. do a google search and you'll have a ton.

More power too you if you want to pack it all in on your back. I've been there a few times. I've gotta say though its pretty nice to have the boys packin and me walking though. I'm not out to defeat the mountain.....it kicks my but every time. I'm just there to have a good time.

They are just so cute, never thought about trying to us goats. I think I can sell it to me wife as the new lawn mower aswell.

I had goats for years. I helped to write the hunting chapter of a book called practical goat packing, and in fact My goat Rex was the picture on the cover.
I packed out 5 bulls on my goats, they are a great way to go if you have time to keep them in shape.
One time a friend of mine and my self used 4 goats to sneek up on a herd of elk. We took a goat in each hand and walked between the goats real low. We got into the edge herd, close enough to shoot and shot two spikes out of the herd. Another time I had a spike stop to see what we were. He died a few seconds later. I used them a lot on open spike only hunts. The only times I used them for big bulls was just to pack meat after the kill. On both of those bulls I had up to 90 pounds on each goat. This was slightly down hill and for only about a mile and a half.
I still have all my packs stored away for another day. Ron

I'm also curious about getting the goats close to wild sheep. They seem to like herd bulls and coming within 5 feet of wild animals. Does FNAWS and the DNR approve of using goats in wild sheep country? Just recently there was a huntable reintroduced wild sheep herd that got wiped out by domestic goats. I'm guessing several hundred thousand dollars were thrown away because some goats got too close to wild sheep. Now those 1,000 plus people will have to apply for other areas which means my odds are way worse and I may never draw in my lifetime. I can't tell you how upsetting that is. Please let us know of any vaccinations that will guarantee wild sheep and goats won't get a disease from your domestic goats. If there is no such thing then domestic sheep and goats should NOT be allowed in areas where there are wild sheep and goats. I'm beyond worried about this issue. Please let us know.

For those with personal experience.....how do they or would they handle the heat of AZ? For anyone that hunts AZ you know that even the fall hunts the temps can easily be in the 100's.

coues7

LOL about them being highlined and you running, Andy. Good post and great pics! I wouldn't mind using goats to pack either if I were a hiker.

Jenn

Adam,

Great post, I have been interested in them. I have a different story about thie time I packed out my elk on my back. I thought
to myself "I must be an idiot" I should have hired someone with horses to come pack it out.....

The goats sound like a good pack option..

This past year some stray domestic goats started a disease outbreak in the bighorn sheep in Utah County. If everyone starts taking domestic goats everywhere is there some danger of infecting bighorn sheep herds?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom