Why we reload

projp

LAST EDITED ON Oct-05-17 AT 09:52PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-05-17 AT 09:51?PM (MST)

Target dots are 1"
My Fierce Rifle came with a box of Nosler 129gr AB-LR's. Every time I go the the range working up loads I shoot a few factories just for fun. The best three shots with the Noslers have been 2," with most of them at about 3". I have never had recent gun that shoots factory ammo so poorly.
With hand loads I am getting several loads in the .375 MOA range.
These two groups were shot 5 minutes apart.

9742720171005174509.jpg

I have tried
AccuBond 142 LR .63 MOA
Berger 140 VLD .75 MOA
Barnes 127 LRX .85 MOA
Hornady 143 ELD-x .25 MOA

I am sure the Bergers would do a little better if I played with seating.

Surprisingly my best groups seem to be at the lower velocities.
Many of my other rifles seem to shoot tighter as the velocity goes up. It is nice to not be playing in the hot zone to find a load.
With the turrets available now I don't need to be pushing the ragged edge like the old days when velocity was the answer to hitting things at long range.

I used the Hornady Ballistic program for the first time and was quite pleased.
Sighted in at the range at 100yds, chronoed the load, and did the ballistic program to get drop for 500 yds.
Went to the desert today to shoot at 500 and was within 2" of the programs elevation calcs.
What that tells me is that the ballistic coefficient that Hornady used for the ELD-X's is correct.

How much bullet-jump have you found works best for the 143 ELD-X bullets? ....or at least, what are you using?

Zeke

#livelikezac

Thanks!
I've been about 20 thousandths off but a trusted friend said that his are 50 thousandths off and they shoot really well there too.
Your's at 30 or 40 should be right about in that sweet range!

#livelikezac

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom