Wifes first Barbary Ram

NMPaul

This is my wife's first barbary sheep tag.

We went out after this morning after some of the coldest weather on record.

First thing in the morning I glassed up what I thought was 2 small rams about a mile away. Turned out it was a ram, ewe and baby.
1.5 hours later we came over the top and the ram was on the run. My wife could not find him in the scope the couple times he stopped and no shots were fired.

As we sat there licking our wounds we heard the little baby lamb a couple hundred yards away on the other side of the hill. We decided to get out of there so hopefully the ewe would come back. I had to explain to my wife that we could not take it home and raise it because it was illegal.

While we were on top of the mountain, I started glassing and I saw a group of sheep about 1.5 miles away on another range of mountains.

This is the first time I have ever found 2 groups of sheep on public land in one day.
We made a plan and 2 hours later we came up over a saddle and were looking at 11 rams 360 yards away.

I thought we should circle around for a closer shot, but, Zach and my wife reminded me that me messed that up only hours earlier.

She told me she could make the shot, I was not so sure.

Zach was watching in the spotting scope and I was watching on the 15s and she touched it off. Zach started screaming good hit, but, I was not so sure right off. The ram had been laying down and all that was showing was neck and shoulder. Laying down shots are real tough.
The ram started to run and I had a sinking feeling, but, he went 10 feet and Zach and I saw blood spraying every where. We was down after another 40 feet.

We then saw a large bodied ram standing watching him, that was on the other side of the hill. A better ram than she shot. Her ram measured 22.5 length and 12" bases. A decent first ram.

She held over the ram and the shot exploded through his neck and shoulder. This was the bloodiest kill I had ever seen. I normally try to clean up for pics, but, there was not a chance. It took us about 40 minutes to hike to where he dropped and the blood was frozen on.

Now we have Zachs and my tag tomorrow morning.

Zach and Mom
2011KimsRamZachsfox009.jpg

Zach with the Glory Load
2011KimsRamZachsfox015.jpg

2011KimsRamZachsfox012.jpg

2011KimsRamZachsfox008-1.jpg

Wow the hits just keep on coming. Congrats to your wife on a great first ram. That is awesome. You guys just keep rocking it. Sounds like it was one heck of a shot to.

Great looking animal and you weren't kidding about the blood! That's unreal it bled out like that. Hope you and Zack knock em down as well.

Paul--congrats to your wife!! Great ram!

Do you think there are more Barbary now than 10 years ago?

Just curious. Thanks.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-06-11 AT 11:50AM (MST)[p]Do you think there are more Barbary now than 10 years ago?

I only got serious about hunting them a few years ago. People I have talked to said there is less than there used to be.

They got popular to hunt and they got thinned out. Hopefully, taking them off of OTC tag, to draw tag will help.
Still very hard to find on public land.

How is the meat on those things? I like it better than antelope, but, I dont like antelope very much.
They make great sausage, with about 30% pork fat added.

BTW, my wife normally does not hunt in a sweat outfit, after that first mountain she had to ditch her insulated jump suit, and I ditched my long johns.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-06-11 AT 07:46PM (MST)[p]CONGRATS to Your Wife!! Great going Paul. The animals better fear your Family!!!! LOL!!! GOOD LUCK to You & your Son!!

Congrats NMPaul and family. Good looking ram for your wife. Would love to go after them suckers one of these days. Your family is always in the field im jealous!

NMPaul ...I would bet money that 2 more Barbs are going down if you guys have tags!! Congratulations to the wife!!

Hunting is Life...everything else is
Just details.
Ol' Buzztail...

>NMPaul ...I would bet money that
>2 more Barbs are going
>down if you guys have
>tags!! Congratulations to the wife!!
>
>
>
>Hunting is Life...everything else is
>Just details.
>Ol' Buzztail...

2 is a tall order. Zach and I promised each other not to shoot anything smaller than what we have. I got to beat 25" he has to beat 17".
Got my $ on Zach.

NMPaul ...Are you kidding??? You and Zach are like the NINJA HUNTERS of New Mexico!!! No doubts here that you two will Git r done.

Hunting is Life...everything else is
Just details.
Ol' Buzztail...

Congrats Kim and great shot. I'm glad you were able to find a good ram. The conditions were tough the first day we were out. Way to keep at it....like you had a choice. LOL.--Kevin

Congrats to you, the wife and the whole family. That's a great first ram and I love the look of that country. Getting a barbary is on my bucket list and I hope to do it in the next few years.

And no matter how cold it is in that country, it is generally worse here in Wyoming. We had 24 below here this morning, so a barbary hunt in NM looks really good right now. Hope to be able to draw a license some day.

Looking forward to seeing pics of two more rams soon. Thanks for the story, Paul.

>Very nice job. Congrats to the
>Mrs. Check on Khart?he might
>be getting cabin fever.

Last time I checked he was watching cartoons????

We got him out last weekend, and gonna get him out this weekend also hopefully.

Maybe we can shoot 2 at the same time and pack about 120 lbs on him. he he he

ICMDEER, most days hunting barbary are beautiful.

It is just awesome to be hunting in feb and march. cant beat it.

Down in that country we get some 60 degree days in feb and march, but, we also get some nasty ones.

I will be selling the cape on this ram since we will be doing a european mount of it.
Interested pm me.

Congrats to you all! What a great hunt to experience with the entire family! I'm jealous! haha I'm going to get one of those sheep someday. Good luck Paul and Zach on your hunt. I'm sure you'll get er done!

Congrats again!
Travis

Congrats on a great shot and a nice looking Ram, Hunting in Feb and March for these sheep has to be great most of us are just out trying to hunt coyotes and training hunting dogs, LOL

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Congrats on the wifes hunt how the hunt going for yours and urs sons sheep anyluck I read on another post u guys were close on one .

Zach and I have really screwed up our barbary sheep season. Reminds me of turkey hunting.

He missed a really really good ram on public land, I missed a good ram on land we paid to trespass on, and Zach killed a ewe ????? on the land we paid to trespass on even though there were decent rams in the herd.
Killed the wrong sheep.
Who knows what I will screw up by the end of barbary season.

You'll do good Paul. Just being out there makes it Great!! Good luck on you getting a ram & CONGRATS to your son for his kill!!

Well a sheep is better then no sheep , what's the end date for the sheep hunting

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom