Wife's first hunt

UtahJimmy

First post here! Been reading all the wonderful knowledge you guys supply for some time!

My wife just completed her hunters education and has expressed interest in antelope hunting. Looking at the draw odds for doe pronghorn it looks like our best bet is to put in for the plateau/Parker mountain unit if she is able to draw a tag this year.

Anyone have positive or negative experiences on this unit?

Probably have her put in for antlerless deer in the same unit based on odds as well...

Thanks for any input!

Jimmy,
Too late for Utah this year but you're not too late to apply and take her to Wyoming! Make sure it's an area that can be hunted if drawn (not too much private). Better yet, apply for doe/fawn tags and go have a fun, low-pressure hunt for a tasty critter.

2 cents,
Zeke

No u are not to late to put in for antler less in ut don't know the areas but I do know that they haven't done antler less draw yet hop on the web site and look good luck

If I recall, the DWR cut those tags in half. From 600 to 300. They mentioned possibly transplanting some of those antelope elsewhere.
The antlerless draw application starts near the end of this month.
I think that unit requires some points to have decent odds of drawing.
Because she's just starting out, I'd have her apply for multiple antlerless critters. Doe pronghorn, cow elk, doe deer.

Have her start collecting points for future hunts if she doesn't draw. Points for different critters gives her better chances of drawing which means more options down the road.
Parker mountain is a popular late season hunt. Look for leftover tags in June for more options this year as well. There's always spike and bull elk tags to buy over the counter in July.
Good luck!

"Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak. So
we must and we will."
Theadore Roosevelt

LAST EDITED ON May-16-16 AT 04:16PM (MST)[p]Pm sent
Go to main forum page and right above the General hubting should be a bold red message saying u have messages click it.

>No u are not to late
>to put in for antler
>less in ut don't know
>the areas but I do
>know that they haven't done
>antler less draw yet hop
>on the web site and
>look good luck

You are so right and I am so wrong. I forgot all about the antlerless drawing.
Sorry for the partially bad info!
Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom