Wife's First Hunt

Torq

For years I have been trying to convince my wife to pick up hunting. At the very least I would tell her to start building points so that when the time came where she was ready to hunt, she could do some cool hunts. After 10 years of trying to get her to do it, she finally decided to do it this year. She got her hunters safety and we got her a Utah General Bull tag.

Each year my family goes and camps out the night before the opener. Cousins and uncles sit around all night and tell stories of old hunting trips. This year we could still hear bulls bugling all around us, and the excitement and anticipation grew through the night to the point I could hardly sleep.

We woke up early and hiked up the mountain. As we got to the spot I wanted to try and sit for the morning we could hear a bull bugling below us. We tried to get into position for the morning light but we may have been a bit too noisy as the bull we heard the bull bugling from the next canyon over. As the morning light came we snuck over to the ridge where I thought they were, I told her to get ready as we edged over the knoll on top. Once we got over we were greeted with the sight of a herd of elk. There were 20 cows, and a good bull bugling and lazily chasing them around on the ridge. I ranged the bull as my wife got ready to shoot. She fired off a shot at 250 yds and the bull never took another step. The rest of the herd scattered, but he was frozen in place. I couldn't tell at the time but she had hit him perfectly in the shoulder and right into the lungs.

We both fired off a couple more shots because I believe firmly that if it's still standing then it can still get away. Even with a couple more shots he never moved until he finally tipped and then rolled down the steep mountain. I was elated and cheering like a lunatic. My wife had just killed a 6x6 bull on the opening morning of her very first hunt.
Bull.jpg

His 6 is small on both sides, but for a general tag I don't think you can ask for much better.

I'm sure she'll be at it again. I personally got a lot more satisfaction out of her getting it than I have on any of my own hunts so I hope to be able to go on many more hunts with her.
That's awesome - I feel the same way with my kids when they have been successful. Always get more satisfaction seeing them get it done than myself!

Congrats again!!

one thing im super grateful for my wife does not hunt and has no interest in it .

all kidding aside, great bull. what a neat experience for her first time out

For years I have been trying to convince my wife to pick up hunting. At the very least I would tell her to start building points so that when the time came where she was ready to hunt, she could do some cool hunts. After 10 years of trying to get her to do it, she finally decided to do it this year. She got her hunters safety and we got her a Utah General Bull tag.

Each year my family goes and camps out the night before the opener. Cousins and uncles sit around all night and tell stories of old hunting trips. This year we could still hear bulls bugling all around us, and the excitement and anticipation grew through the night to the point I could hardly sleep.

We woke up early and hiked up the mountain. As we got to the spot I wanted to try and sit for the morning we could hear a bull bugling below us. We tried to get into position for the morning light but we may have been a bit too noisy as the bull we heard the bull bugling from the next canyon over. As the morning light came we snuck over to the ridge where I thought they were, I told her to get ready as we edged over the knoll on top. Once we got over we were greeted with the sight of a herd of elk. There were 20 cows, and a good bull bugling and lazily chasing them around on the ridge. I ranged the bull as my wife got ready to shoot. She fired off a shot at 250 yds and the bull never took another step. The rest of the herd scattered, but he was frozen in place. I couldn't tell at the time but she had hit him perfectly in the shoulder and right into the lungs.

We both fired off a couple more shots because I believe firmly that if it's still standing then it can still get away. Even with a couple more shots he never moved until he finally tipped and then rolled down the steep mountain. I was elated and cheering like a lunatic. My wife had just killed a 6x6 bull on the opening morning of her very first hunt.
View attachment 89668

His 6 is small on both sides, but for a general tag I don't think you can ask for much better.
Just fyi……that bull has no 6ths…..it has good fifths but the beams just quit short….those short points on the back are the main beam tips….

My wife shoots that bull….
it is a six point bull

Doesn’t matter what the scoring rules say, it will never be scored.

What about "devil points"? Rule I thought on elk was that you count all points for punching tag? Her bull is a 6x6 bull. Not sure on how you would punch "club" points, "droppers", or any freak malformations.

That’s awesome! Congrats to you both! Now she’s been spoiled and will expect that great success every time haha. Nice work!

Thanks all, she is super excited about it. We got a euro mount done and after years of me trying to convince her to put mounts in the house, she finally agreed that it should go in the main entryway to our house. Not sure why she finally caved on that topic......

Well!

Now You Can Tell Her You Don't Want Her Bull in The House!:D

(((RAZZIN Of Course!:D)))

Nice Job There Ms Torq!

Thanks all, she is super excited about it. We got a euro mount done and after years of me trying to convince her to put mounts in the house, she finally agreed that it should go in the main entryway to our house. Not sure why she finally caved on that topic......

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom