Wife's oryx mount- Finished!

• Thread starter HillbillyNnevada
  • Start date
H

HillbillyNnevada

LAST EDITED ON Aug-05-09 AT 08:59PM (MST)[p]After 17 months, we finally got my wife's oryx back from the taxidermist. You may remember this lil' guy from a prior post called "Oryx Too Small to Mount..."

4a7a44512985c4be.jpg

4a7a44f02f12dd21.jpg

I personally think the neck is skinnier than the cape we took in. I can say I will be taking my oryx elsewhere if I punch my tag this December. My wife is happy with the mount so that is all that matters to me.

In your professional opinions, did this taxidermist do a good job considering they had to adapt a form to fit this juvenile oryx?

Pretty clean mount you should be happy. For your next trophy take your own measurement's before you drop it off for example eye to nose. neck measurement. base of horn to nose.And you also due the tip's to nose that way there's no question.

Wacmaster,
Overall, I am happy with the mount. I will be taking my oryx elsewhere because I feel this taxidermist gave me the runaround (long story) for at least 3 months- to the point I was about to pick it up and take it to another taxi.

I don't have any doubt that this mount has the same cape I took in. However, I was wondering if the cape could have been taken in to fit the smaller, non-oryx form. After reading some of the posts on here lately, I am happy with this result.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-06-09 AT 03:50AM (MST)[p]Take this as constructive critisim as you asked for opinions about the mount... The ear butts are WAY offline (they're on his neck on your mount!), the ears are the wrong shape, the finish job is well below subpar (looks dirty and like it was a rushed job that was just thrown together to get it out of the shop).. It just looks "rough" and "unrefined".. There are WAY better taxidermists out there!

Go with your gut instinct and take it somewhere else for you upcoming bull..

------------------
DRSS Chapuis 470NE
SCI
DSC
WSF
QU
NRA

Man that was harsh. Tell us how you really fill about his oryx mount. scottyboy.

I think you know how the mount looks, or you would not have asked the question. It is hard to judge any mount off of a couple photos.

Sometimes, to alter a form smaller, a taxidermist will just shave material off the neck area. The correct way is to shave material and shorten the neck, on a small specimen. Ears should look alive. The grooming should lay the hair in the proper patterns and be crisp.

One bit of advice for your mount. Take a butter knife and tuck the hair running up onto the wall behind the mount. This will help its appearance. Best of luck on your next oryx hunt.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com

LAST EDITED ON Aug-06-09 AT 02:15PM (MST)[p]Wac,
wasn't trying to be harsh.. The man asked for opinions and I gave mine to him.. Just because my opinion of his mount is diff than your's doesn't make it "harsh".. When I mount a customer's gemsbok trophy, I make damned sure it is well above par before it leaves my workplace.. Others don't.
Why ignore the elephant in the living room when the owner asks you what you think of it??

------------------
DRSS Chapuis 470NE
SCI
DSC
WSF
QU
NRA

LAST EDITED ON Aug-06-09 AT 04:21PM (MST)[p]It's difficult to judge from the angle, but to me it appears he used some other critter form. Unless the one you brought in was extremely small, the neck is too thin for a gemsbok. And as Scotty said, the ear position is off; they are sticking out to the side rather than upward as they should be.

Here's two angles of mine, which was done by Mark Plunkett at Wildlife Creations in Camp Verde, AZ.

4a7b429620506506.jpg

4a7b42c621bc2c2f.jpg

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

I didn't take the criticism personally. Afterall, I didn't prepare the mount. I asked for opinions because I wanted to know if the mount is subpar. Thank you guys for the input.

Hillbilly- If you look at the photo of your wife's oryx which you posted on the other thread and compare it to the mount you will see the exact problem. Look at the neck. Oryx do not have elongated necks, like an elk, but rather are quite stocky in proportion, as seen in Tony's photos and, especially, your own kill photos. I am sure we would all like to see a side photo of your mount.

www.sagebasin.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom