Wild Game Processing

Aceman

Just curious if you have seen any of your local wild game processors quit taking any animals brought in during the muzzleloader and archery season. Our local processor quit due to the condition of the animals when they were brought into his business. He still will process animals taken during the rifle season.

He told me the reason he quit processing was because of the weather. We have been having very warm weather during the archery season and it was effecting the quality of the meat. On another note, the bucks are rutting strong around here now, Season starts this coming weekend.

Sounds to me like a good time to buy some dexter knives and man up and process the meat yourself. Great thing about hunting like life its tests your independence of providing for ones self and family.
It's really not hard either, just time consuming.

At the same time, it starts with field care. Some people care more than others as with anything.

I could understand the logic though behind denying processing during hot weather. Maybe the processor had complaints and just got tired of dealing with it. While it may not be his fault, he will be the one taking the blame and losing money.

It's really not hard either, just time consuming.

At the same time, it starts with field care. Some people care more than others as with anything.

I could understand the logic though behind denying processing during hot weather. Maybe the processor had complaints and just got tired of dealing with it. While it may not be his fault, he will be the one taking the blame and losing money.
By myself about 3hrs for a deer burger (maybe sausage) and steaks. For elk alone about 4hrs same cuts and grind. With wife add an extra hour for both for micro managing.

Don't quite understand that

I understand why. Early season animals, quite often, are skinned before coming out of the hills when packed out and have a tendency to get really dirty. They also can begin to spoil by not taking caring of them as soon as possible.

It's not uncommon for rifle killed animals later on in a season to be skinned after they get back to a truck, camp, or home. Certainly not always the case though...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom