Wild turkey

J

jbigb30

How many Gus on here use their turkey for thanksgiving or do you fry him up a few days after you kill him. I have heard slot of guys say wild turkey isn't very good but was thinking if I deep fried mine it wouldn't be to bad what's some thoughts on this.

We shot a couple of birds several years ago and ate them a week or so later. Cut them up and roasted in an oven bag as you would a domestic bird. It was excellent eating. Tasted like a mix of domestic turkey and ruffed grouse. Season with salt, pepper, and paprika.

I deep fried them, and smoked them, and tried about every way possible. The fact is, the big old toms are pretty nasty. Best way I've found is turkey stir fry.

Shummy makes a point. An old tom, courtin' hens, might not be as good. The bird I shot was a young tom. My son's was a jake.

I realize that I am late to the party, but in anticipation of next season, I'll put my two cents in... I have eaten many dozens of wild turkey over the years, and I have never been able to tell the difference between toms and jakes. They are all delicious, if prepared and cooked properly. To begin, do not allow them to sit with the entrails in for more than a half-hour. Do not expect to cook them like a store-bought bird-they will be dry. Instead, make turkey pot pie, or slice the breasts and fry them with your favorite coating. Deep frying the entire bird is OK, but they will be drier than a farm bird. Finally, don't expect to eat much of the drumstick--turkey do a lot of running and have a lot of sinew in the legs. My dogs love me for them (minus the bone).

Most people won't touch wild turkey drum and thigh. SLOW cook! I either use a crock pot with chicken stock all day, or my favorite is floured then seared in olive oil, then add stewed tomatoes, celery, carrots, little tapatio reduce heat to a simmer for about 3 hours. Damn good food!

Let me know how it turns out. I put carrots, onions, celery etc. in. sometimes the last hour I'll put some egg noodles in. Makes like a turkey noodle soup.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom