Wildlife Unit Managers

D

desertroamer78

I have read that hunters should contact their hunt units wildlife manager for information on the unit. I know nothing replaces boots on the ground and scout time, but do many people utilize them for helpful information concerning their hunt unit.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-15-12 AT 09:31AM (MST)[p]I've found that the earlier in the year you contact them the better the information is that you will receive. It really helps if you have done your homework on the unit you are planning to hunt and can ask very specific questions. Have your questions prepared before you call. Their time is valuable so don't waste it. A cold call just before the opener with very general questions will yield a very general response.... Terry

Aside from the couple that I know personally I have had very little luck getting any meaningful info from a WM. Maybe it is the way I approach them or something but I don't remember ever having a phone call or an email returned.

Good luck.

This is kind of what I figured. Just wasn't sure if it was useful. I may contact them after a scout trip in a couple of weeks if I have any questions.

I have to say the WM I speak with has always been helpful. Sorry to hear you guys have not had a good experience.

I had the Rocky Mountain sheep tag last year in 28 and I called the wildlife manager two times and left messages and never got a call back so you decide.

Absolutely. Sometimes if they are real cool you can schedule a ride along with them for a day.

http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_13010.jpg[/img][/url]

I've had good luck talking to the unit managers, very good information in the past. Keep one thing in mind, these guys often don't return calls because they are out in the unit, camping for days and sometimes weeks at a time. Once, back in the 1990's, I drew unit 9 archery elk. Bob Berklin was the warden/unit manager. He never returned any of three or four calls I made to him. Then, literally, a couple days before I left for my hunt, I called him and got him. First thing he did was apologize, telling me that he was out on the unit when I made those calls. He then told me exactly where he'd hunt, as he'd just seen some nice bulls and no hunters in that area. I camped right where he said to camp, and saw 6 bulls the first morning that were north of 320.

Another time, my son drew 12AE late. Todd Buck was that unit manager, and he did return my call, a couple weeks after I left my last message. Same story, he'd been horse packing on the Kaibab. Then, he gave me some super information on places to look for bucks.

I've found these guys to be very helpful, you just have to be patient and realize that they too are busy. Do some homework ahead of time, have your maps handy, and then ask intelligent and polite questions and you'll be surprised at what you can learn.

I've had great luck in Arizona, most bio's have been very easy to get ahold of and willing to help out especially is they can tell you've already done some homework as you are asking the right questions. Haven't had the same experience in my home state and we have wardens and bio's, so the bio's are doing double duty like AZ's. Get your maps, do some research, make the call to the WM and have your questions ready.
Taxidermists/meat processors in the area can also provide some info as well.
Good Luck!
Spear

I am glad you had good luck in AZ. I waited 2 months and never got a call back and there were only 6 sheep hunters. They should remember who is paying their salaries. Once in a lifetime hunt and no call back but what was he going to really tell me?????

What did you do, call once and then wait two months for a call back? Try calling him at least once per week if you want to talk to him.

Read post #7 I called twice and he never called me back. I was in the field for 30 days and never saw him either. All of them should call back even if you make just one call. Remember it is the hunters who pay his salary. I found plenty of rams on my hunt.

Did you attempt to contact the Region Supervisor? I've found that on occassion it is best to send an email to the WM, with a copy to the RS. First initial, last name, @azgfd.gov. Request a receipt so that you know when the WM reads it.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom