Will it help?......Doubt it

huntswnm

http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/publications/press_releases/documents/2008/012508dontfeeddeer.html

Just saw this posted. Some people just don't get it.
Jamaro....This wouldn't be about you would it? :7
Just kidding!

Jeff

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, weapon in one hand, calls in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

I wonder how much truth there is to this? The guys in CO are feeding the deer because of all the snow. Wyoming has a feeding ground for elk, never heard of a deer/elk not being able to digest hay and grain.

no joke... they are running all over my yard... The other day we had a 30 inch buck in the backyard.... The other night I saw a buck with Christmas tree lights in his rack... The kids don't understand why I go to the mountains to hunt... :)

Take Care
www.thenewmexicosportsman.com

Junior, deer and elk can digest hay and grain. However, the microbial community in their rumen changes depending on what they eat (ie. there are many spp of microbes in the rumen and certain ones are able to digest different things better and thus become more dominant deppending on the foods eaten). Durring the winter natural forage is typically very low quality and the microbail community is adapted to breaking down these foods. Thus they cannot redilly digest high quality foods such as hay and grain. It takes time for the microbial community to shift so that these foods can be broken down.

To succesfully feed deer you need to either make up feeds that match the natural feed available such as Colorado does or start feeding early in the winter so that the rumen can adjust to the feed.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom