Willard Peak Goat

ELKOHOLIC

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Oct-06-10 AT 04:09PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-06-10 AT 04:07?PM (MST)

Just got back from my dad's goat hunt on Willard Peak. What a great experience.

My first trip up to that mountain range was back in 2007 when I drew a tag. We started scouting that summer and couldn't believe the terrain and how crazy those goats are.

Back to this years hunt. We showed up at the top of the basin the day before the hunt. We set up our camp and went out to the trailhead to look it over. I was surprised that people were heading out on the trail that evening to get a headstart.

We went back to camp and got ready for the next day. It was a long night in the tent. The weather was less than perfect. The wind was so bad the tent didn't want to stay upright.

We got up that morning and heading out before daylight. I had a big pack on and I was starting to wonder how this was going to work with the strong winds. This ain't a place where you want to take a tumble.

When the sun came up we started seeing goats way down below us in the cliffs. As we were watching them we heard shots on the back side of the peak. The Goats started showing up on top of the peak and was headed towards us. We had hunters moving in above and below us. I told my dad to get ready for a shot.

I got the spotter out and was making sure that none were billies (He had a Nanny tag). For those that don't know the difference between the two I can tell you that it can be tough at times to tell a difference.

Before the hunt he mentioned that he should break my new gun in with its first kill and I think I surprised him when I said sure. He was shooting my Browning X Bolt 7mm-08 with hand loaded 140 gr. Accubonds. We singled one out and he got ready for the shot. I ranged him at 262 yards and he used the pack for a solid rest.He took the shot and the goat dropped in it's tracks and rolled about 20 yards down the hill. I couldn't believe how quick it ended.

We was starting to wonder if we had rushed it, but it was starting to rain hard and the forecast was for several more days of bad weather. Later in the day we found out it was probably good that he got it when he did.

We got up to the goat as two other hunters were able to fill their tags nearby. He hit the goat a little further back than he was aiming, but it dropped instantly. We started skinning the goat out and it started to pour on us.

People were starting to head back to civilization including the ones that packed in the day before. I felt kind of bad for them because they didn't see much and they looked defeated when they seen us with the goat. Hope they was able to fill there tag.

Anyway we had a lot of fun and met some really good people up there. Everyone we talked to was helpful. Good luck to the others up there. As for the Taxidermist with the bow up there, get a login and post up your experience. It ain't that hard to figure out:).

By the way, I mentioned it was good he got it when he did. When we got back to camp our tent had collapsed and our bedding and everything inside was drenched.

Here is a few pics of my dad's hunt and my goat from '07.
BensWillardPeakGoatHunt2010007.jpg

BensWillardPeakGoatHunt2010009.jpg

BensWillardPeakGoatHunt2010005.jpg

My goat from '07
DSC02106.jpg

Two goats in four years. Not bad. I love the picture looking out over the valley.

I have to agree with micalbracken. Thats a great pic with the valley in the background. Tell your dad congrats and to you too. Great animals.

Congrats to your Dad.

Sounds like you guys had a couple sweet hunts in a short time frame. Good for you.

Nice pix, thanks

I love hunting the "beast the color of winter".

Zeke

Congrats on a great once in a lifetime trophy!!! That is a hunt to remember, due to the challenges of the overall hunt. Greta job and well done!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom