Willard Peak Mt. Goats

headbones

Well, here is a shot of some Willard Peak (Utah) Mountain Goats. Nanny's or Billies? I found it still tough to identify every goat I watched, Tough to id sometimes. There were alot of goats, I counted about 100, and they seemed used to people walking around, wonder if they will be that tame when they start getting shot at? I could not believe the number of people on the mountain last Sat. 15. Mt bikers, hikers, scouts, motorcylces, ATV's, hunters. I felt bad for the goat hunters I saw who gave up due to the number of people crawling around the mountain chasing goats. Not quite the wilderness experience one might expect from a mountain goat hunt. I hope there will not be this number of people when I get to hunt a nanny in Oct. I may have to wait until the weekday and avoid people. You other guys out there have any similar experiences while scouting these goats? Justin.

DSCF0265.jpg

It does get busy up there. Speaking from experience...watch thoes blind corners, had a kid and his girlfriend on an ATV just about go through my windshiled. Thanks for the pics!

Its hard to judge them. One of the game warderns had a nanny tag last year. He couldn't decide until he watched her urinate. I don't know if that helps or not. ya be careful on the roads up to the peak freaking people everywhere. muzzleloader deer hunters grouse hunters sceinic viewers moose hunters fourwheelers jeeps trucks cars honda civics and everything else in between.

Hard to say from that angle. Looking at body size, shoulder hump and what appears to be a yellower color, I'd say the upper is a billy, and the other two nannies......it looks like glands below the horns, but it could be shadow....

They are darn hard to judge, a friend of mine dumped what we all agreed was a billy, only to find out it was a nanny. Thank heaven for any goat tags!

I didn't know you had a tag, that is cool. On that hunt finding goats is the easy part, being 100% sure about your nanny is the hard part. Not a wilderness type hunt when there are guys roadhunting goats. It is a great way to get a sweet rug though. I saw some nannies up there with really long horns earlier this year. Good luck.

Dax

I would say they are all nannies, usually nannies have skinnier horns with a bit of a wider spread. This time of year, billies aren't with the nannies either.

The 2 on the left are nannies,the 1 on the right is a billy.I've spent alot of time looking.Heres a pic of the new Oregon state record billy

46f7334a78cd58f5.jpg

"Pain is fear leaving your body"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom