Willard Peak Utah Mountain Goat Hunt

headbones

Here are a few pics from my mountain goat hunt this past week, I was successful with killing a nice little nanny goat. My hunt was on Willard mountain just north of Ogden, south of Cache Valley, Utah. I went up the day before and found very few goats, way down in the cliffs. My hunting 'crew' assisted me on the first day, but we were unsuccessful due to a storm that moved in and completely fogged us in with snow and rain. I actually left the mountain and returned home until the storm passed on Sunday. I went back up, solo of course, on Sunday night ready for a Monday morning hunt. The road up to the top of the mountain is bad on trucks, ok on atv's which I was lucky to borrow one. I spotted some goats way off the north west side and down off into the cliffs. After watching the nanny's with kids, I was able to determine which kid belonged to adult, as I did not want to shoot a wet-nanny. The only loner was a younger nanny and I decided to take the opportunity. Through an opening in the trees and rocks, I made a one-shot kill at 150 yards with my .25-06. She dropped, then to my amazement I watched what looked like a large white duffle bag fly over a 60 foot rock ledge and then pile up in some brush. I made my way over to my goat, and was very excited. They are very pretty animals. Took me 7 hours to skin, bone, and pack out, all uphill back to the road. It was quite the workout, a true solo, backbreaking, but enjoyable once in a life time mountain goat hunt! I have eaten some meat and it is really good. Enjoy the pics. Justin.

Road up east side of Willard mountain
4716984a23bf47c5.jpg

Typical mountain goat country, west side looking south to Ogden
4716987d251aa2ba.jpg

Fogged out hunting 'crew'
471698aa26ce4155.jpg

Sunset over Great Salt Lake
471698c027465733.jpg

Justin and the mountain goat
471698e027ac6c68.jpg

Once in a lifetime
471699042810bf75.jpg

Pretty animal
4716991e285d1dc8.jpg

The rest stop on top of ridge
4716993828ade645.jpg

Congrats on a great hunt! I always thought that looked like goat It would have been lots easier with Jeran and Jason there to help pack her out, but you'll remember that solitary on the mountain your whole life I bet.....

Congrats. I believe I seen you up there Saturday. Was that you right under Willard Peak overlooking the cliffs? I know of 5 of us that have tagged out now.

Justin,

To bad we both got good tages this year, looks like I could have used your help and you mine. 7 Hours is a long dang time, I'm sure that slope didn't help out any. Now you need to go after a moose tag, I've got horses to help for that. Way to go!!!! Sweet goat!!!!

Justin, congrats on your goat man. Wish I would have known you had a tag. We could have hooked a rope to my rock crawler and drug it right up the slope. :) GREAT pics. Thanks for sharing.

Yelum

Way to go Justin!

Jason told me to look for an older Chevy truck... not a quad.. before he left for Wyoming-guiding.

Oh well, it was a nice ride up there monday on my 6x6... sorry I missed ya.

Ya done good.

Robb

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom