Williams FP Setup on a Traditions

IdahoHntr

I wanted to share a project that I had been working on with the help of Idahoron. I figure it might help others trying to put peep sights on their muzzleloaders with round top receivers. My muzzleloader actually has the same exact receiver hole spacing as the CVA muzzleloaders, so this will work for CVAs just as good as it worked for mine.

I have a Traditions Tracker that I've had for a long time. It has always shot extremely well, but I felt limited by the old iron sights out past 80 yards or so and wanted to try to increase my accuracy with open sights for an Idaho legal muzzy. I wanted to try the Williams FP sight, but they don't make a Williams FP sight for my muzzleloader, so I wasn't sure I could make it work.

Idahoron suggested taking a Williams FP sight with a flat bottom and mounting it to a flat topped scope mount made for my muzzleloader. I tried this and it worked perfectly! All I had to do was drill the Williams FP Sight holes slightly larger to accommodate the slightly larger receiver mounting screws on my muzzleloader, then counterbore for the larger screws, and that was it. I did have to get slightly longer mounting screws, but they were easy to find.

Williams was out of stock for a long time of all there flat bottom sights so I wasn't able to get this all done until the last month, so I haven't even tried to get it dialed in shooting further, but it has decreased my groups to about 2 inches at 100 yards. Shoots about the same as when it has a scope on it! I'm shooting the 420 gr No Excuses on 90 gr Pyrodex Select right now with a veg fiber wad and liking that combo a lot. Anyway, here are some pictures.

81344img6841.jpg

62319img6843.jpg

30559img6844.jpg

25616img6846.jpg

Got a muzzleloader hunt that is open right now that I'm gonna being spending a week on so hopefully I'll have some pictures of it leaning a cross a buck up here in another week or two. Good luck out there guys!

Very well done. I have tried to talk other guys into using this method but none have done it until you. Good luck on the hunt.

It was as tough a hunt as I've ever had out there. I have been fortunate enough to have killed a lot of decent bucks, and so with a freezer that isn't hurting for meat, I was really looking for a special buck this year. We put 6 solid days in from dark to dark and only turned up a handful of bucks, nothin that got me excited enough to pull the trigger. It was a good time spent with my dad that I don't get enough of anymore.

The sights performed flawless though. I shot the muzzy after all was said and done and she was hitting right where she was pointed. I've never been so confident in my setup before and I'm excited to stretch that sight out to some further distances. Thanks for your help with it!

Too bad you couldn't seal the deal on a buck but at least it was not the gun that held you back.

>Very well done. I have tried
>to talk other guys into
>using this method but none
>have done it until you.
>Good luck on the hunt.
>

That's a good idea. Did you also have a post about how to drill a traditional muzzleloader for a Lyman 57 sight?

>>Very well done. I have tried
>>to talk other guys into
>>using this method but none
>>have done it until you.
>>Good luck on the hunt.
>>
>
>That's a good idea. Did you
>also have a post about
>how to drill a traditional
>muzzleloader for a Lyman 57
>sight?

Yes I did

>>>Very well done. I have tried
>>>to talk other guys into
>>>using this method but none
>>>have done it until you.
>>>Good luck on the hunt.
>>>
>>
>>That's a good idea. Did you
>>also have a post about
>>how to drill a traditional
>>muzzleloader for a Lyman 57
>>sight?
>
>
>Yes I did

It worked great too. Thank you for that.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom