winchester 270 model 70

ridenmuley

I have been looking casually for a new rifle that will be used mainly for deer, and antelope and hopefully someday sheep and goat. I have a 300wsm and want something smaller, and lighter that shoots fast, flat and can reach out. I have been thinking of a 270wsm but came across a new winchester model 70 in a 270 thats never been shot for $700. Does anyone have an opinion about this gun?

It's hard to go wrong with a M70 in 270, since you have a 300 already I wouldn't worry about the difference between a 270 and a 270 WSM.

The 270 Win is a fine loading that mainly excels when shooting 130gr bullets. The 270WSM does everything that the 270 does, and more.

My 270WSM shoots factory 150gr bullets fast enough and flat enough that i still have 1750 foot pounds of Energy at 500 yds.

270 Win Can't begin to touch that. Not even close.

I think that the price for the model 70 might be a touch high. I got mine scope, dies, brass, and all for $600. That was a deal but i know guys in a bind right now who are looking to sell.

Joey

Nothing wrong with the 270, I have had one since 1972. It does give up a little the WSM, as Sage said, but is much cheaper to shoot, and eaiser to find ammo. With the 300 already in your battery, I would go with 270 win.

I'll second that $700 seems a tad high, especially for a M70. M70s are good guns; but the test in American Hunter couldn't get the groups below 1.75 inch MOA.

The .270 is a heck of a gun. It'll kill most deer sized game with ease, little recoil and is fairly accurate in most guns. The 130 or 140 grainers are the pill of choice for most and it'll reach out and touch em if the need arises. A great cartridge that was made slightly better with the mags but still a winner none the less.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-13-09 AT 11:15AM (MST)[p]What model 270 are you looking at a FW or sporter. As to that article regarding accuaracy I know of several guys who bought the new winchester 2008 that are getting great accuracy. I just bought a classic FW in 06 and it is shooting great but I only paid 529 for it. I have on order a Model 70 all weather rifle in a 270. I went with the 270 vs 270 WSM primarily for the cost of ammo. Since I don't reload I doubt if any deer or elk out to 300 yards will tell the difference in a 270 vs 270 wsm maybe beyond they can if they ever talk..grin!!

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom