Winchester Model 40

out4elk

I just inherited this shotgun from my grandpa. From what I was told this shotgun was recalled by Winchester years ago and they were all destroyed. Is there truth to this?

LAST EDITED ON Feb-21-06 AT 10:38PM (MST)[p]I checked my gun traders guide and they list a standard grade and a skeet grade for the Winchester model 40 semi-auto shotgun. the skeet grade has a Cutts compensator on the barrel. value of the skeet grade is 635.00, standard grade is 500.00.
I can not find any mention of these guns being recalled, what I did see is that they came out in 1940 and production stopped in 1941. Production was probably stopped due to world war 11 starting in 1941 and Winchester geared up for production for the war effort.
This could be the reason that the person thought they were recalled due to the very short production run. Since there was very few of them made, the above value may be lower then what a collector would pay to finish out his Winchester shotgun collection. The standard grade is described as a "takedown" model with 28 or 30 inch barrel, skeet grade has a 24 inch barrel with the cutts compensator adding appox. another 6 inches. Seems your grandfather had good taste in shotguns and bought one of the first production Winchester semi-autos on the market.

RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom