Winchester model 70

dmick33

After not being to impressed with my remington 700 in 300 wsm I held a Winchester model 70 extreme weather today and read some good stuff on it. I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with one? Also looking at their specs the 7mm and 300 comes in 26 inch barrel and the 300 wsm comes in 24. My questions are what do you think about the barrel lengths and caliber choices?

The m70 EW is a great rifle. B&C stock is another plus with this rifle. Id go with the 300wsm and im sure you will be happy. Have seen a few lately selling for $800 used.

Nobody is a bigger fan of the M-70 than I am, but the fact is they're usually not as accurate as your 700. if accuracy is what you're after don't expect wonders.

I don't know why the newer 70's have 26" barrels in the 7mm and 300 it's not needed. as far as which is better the 300 win mag or the 300 WSM , anything the 300WSM can do the 300 win mag can do better. but if you already have brass and dies for the WSM there isn't that much difference.

Stay thirsty my friends

I have a m70 .270 I bought when I was 12 that shoots way better than the remington I just got last year. I have also heard good things from people with the new ones. They are bedded and free floated while the cheapest remington I bought has none. I have looked into upgrading the gun but all the people I have talked to is around a year wait to get the gun back. I plan on whatever gun I go with to have some upgrades over time just not willing to wait a year right now.

Granted not all 700's shoot, but your odds are far better that they will. don't get me wrong I think an out of the box 700 has some serious design flaws like the extractor. but they do shoot.

Pay your money and take your chances, that's kind of the game with all production rifles.

Stay thirsty my friends

Yeah I'm just wanting a good shooter till down the road I can put some money into one. I'm hoping if I can get a nice rifle around 1000 ish and can get into making some loads ill have time to save up for a nice custom job.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-28-13 AT 01:09PM (MST)[p]If you are going wsm the winchester is Imo much better. Longer action to help oal and feeding is much better.
For $1000 you could find a nice used semi custom if you look around.

If you're considering that price range I'd look hard at the Kimber Montana. I don't know what they cost today but I didn't pay much more than that for the one I have and it's a tack driver. all the Kimbers I've seen shoot better than your average 70 and probably as good as a 700.

Stay thirsty my friends

I just bought a Kimber Montana in a 280 Ackley. 1200.00 new. Waited about 3 months from the time I ordered it till it arrived at the gun shop last week. Been watching a few kimber Montana's online, been going for approx 1000.00, acouple of them in the low 900.00.
Like 440 said, if your considering 1000 for a gun, the Montana is good route to go.
Ive got 2 other Montanas, 270 WSM and 300 WSM. Both are fussy on loads, 1-1.5 groups on most of my test loads, but once you find one it likes, .5 inch is not a problem. Atleast thats what I saw on the 2 I have shot already.
Triggers are good on them too, easy to adjust if you need to.

I have also been looking at some of the savages and now really at the weatherby vanguard 2 in stainless and the backcountry ones with sub moa guarantee. Die at seem to bad just have never shot a weatherby. With the dropped comb I'm curious to how they fit.

Get a Savage Long Range Hunter, I have 3 of them(25.06, 300 win mag, 338 lapua, and the all shoot better than my Rem's and Win's. I bought 4 Win Feather weights(investment) all in WSM, only the 25 shoots good, my 270 wsm is a POS, the bolt fell apart after about 10 rounds and won't print a good group. I just bought the Rem in 257 Weatherby, have not put it on paper yet.

How much heavier are the long range hunters to carry around? If I can get similair accuracy out of something slightly less weight Id like to go that way but if its worth it ill carry it.

A couple of buddies speak highly of the new Winchesters. New meaning the ones made in Columbia, South Carolina which is allegedly a new facility with state of the art machining capability.

I have a few of the new FN winchester rifles, including an extreme weather in 270wsm, and in my opinion they are far superior in anything comparable that remington is currently producing. They have all been very accurate with factory ammo, have fantastic triggers, and the fit and finish is second to none. The old New Haven rifles were hit and miss. The only mass produced factory rifle I like better is the Sako Finnlight.

I am leaning heavily to the extreme weather Winchester in 300 but have still been looking at the weatherbys. I just haven't been able to get my hands on one to fill. I also don't get why the vanguard 2 carry the sub moa guarantee and the more expensive mark v don't. I also don't get how they bed them but don't free float the barrels. That backcountry vanguard they make looks nice. The savages just feel cheap in my hands even though I know they have many good reviews.

it'd be akin to packing around a boat anchor..But if you slum a salvage you may as well add injury to insult.

I know i know, salvage has never made an inaccurate rifle..A true turd polishers dream.

Some people the Monte Carlo reduces felt recoil. I'm one of them. I have a SUB MOA Vanguard from a few years back. I'm not a hardcore MOA person but that rifle has shot anything I put in it well. Helps in these modern days when finding different powders to work up loads are non existent. If I'm ever in the market for another rifle I'm going with one of the new RC's. Know anyone you could try out the Monte Carlo with? Good luck.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-08-13 AT 09:14PM (MST)[p]No unfortunately the small shop in town doesn't carry many guns and whatever you do want now takes some time to get in. I've had a buckmark on order for a couple months now. I might wait til I head to cabelas at some point and see if they have any. I just want to get what I want on order so I can shoot it this summer. Also does the Monte Carlo raise your line of sight. I sit low on a stock which Is why I have a 40mm scope and not 50.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom