Wind Effect on Arrow Flight

Even if we new the weight of your arrow with the speed it would be a guess. The lighter it is the more drift your gona get.

I tried a few shots yeasterday in that wind storm that came though Salt Lake. I had just shot the day before and my rig is shooting perfect but in the wind it was all over the place. It looked like my shaft was flying side ways at it went to the target. The wind was left to right and my shafts were hitting from 2in to a foot right of the target at 30 yards. I didn't even waste time at 40 yards I probley would have missed the whole thing. My shafts are Easton Axis 340's with a 100gr tip and weigh about 247 grains. I am shooting a Hoyt Alpha max and my shafts ae going 270fps at 60#.

Mark

LAST EDITED ON Aug-07-09 AT 10:26AM (MST)[p]It's very difficult to be consistant in strong wind. You would think it's like bullet drift and you can compensate but what you experienced is exactly what I see when I shoot in strong wind, the arrow fishtails and is very inconsistant like an out of tune bow. I can tell you though the effect is worse with a 4 inch vane compared to a 2 inch vane. If the wind gets strong IMO you either have to get really close or just keep your arrows in your quiver.

For me, it seems as if the wind does not do that much to my arrows. I practice in Cheyenne, Wyoming and wind is something we have a lot of. I seem to find that it is very hard to hold my bow steady but my arrows fly great. I practice @ 70 yards almost everyday. On windy days, when I can hold my pins where I want, the arrow hits where I aimed. I might be way off but my bow seems to be a huge sail in the wind and that makes it harder to shoot than the effect on the arrow. JMO

Thanks everyone for the comments. I'm shooting 2" vanes on a gold tip arrow (55xx) with a 100gr G5 Striker.

I'm a pretty conservative guy so I don't think I will take any big risks I just don't have any experience shooting in anything more than a breeze.

When you say you're everywhere keep in mind the wind doesn't only affect the arrow but the arm/body. It's cool that you wanted to go shoot in that stuff, I was out back too and it was all good til the rain started comin down. I figured the ol bow has a pretty rough month ahead so I had better shoot out of the garage.

I was out shooting the other evening in about a 20mph cross wind. The biggest factor was the inability to hold the bow steady. But I did notice some eratic arrow flight too.

I decided that if it's too windy I'll suspend the hunt, or limit my distance.

Eel

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom