Wipe Out Problem

Pre64

Very Active Member
FYI. Just got the 300 back from the smith. He was amazed at the gunky build up in the action. Despite my best efforts to contain wipe out to the barrel, some ended up over the trigger. Apparently it causes quite the mess when it seeps into the action.

And you want to blame this on Wipe Out? Part of "cleaning" a gun also means pulling it out of the stock and cleaning the trigger group once in awhile.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Of course I'm blaming it on wipe out, coupled with my failure to contain the stuff to the barrel. IME, a new can will shoot the stuff completely through the barrel and to the back of the action.

The smith was putting in a new extractor and spring. He told me that the action had to be completely disassembled and each part cleaned to remove the sticky residue. I've only shot and cleaned this rifle a few times with wipe-out and I don't remove the action every time I shoot it.

Just a word of warning so others don't make the same mistake.

Your welcome Joey, wish me luck on the late season elk hunt.

I forget who said it, but if you get a longer section of hose...you can point the muzzle down and shoot it in from the breach. Then stuff some patches or a piece of old rag in the chamber. Works well for me.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

LAST EDITED ON Nov-22-10 AT 03:14PM (MST)[p]Just stuff a rag into the receiver before you give it a squirt. It keeps it from oozing out into the trigger, etc.

"He told me that the action had to be completely disassembled and each part cleaned to remove the sticky residue."

There are no parts to an action other than maybe the bolt release, and the trigger. The other components are in the bolt assembly, which wouldn't be exposed to wipeout.

I do the same thing that 4000fps does. I stuff a rag in the action and I have never had a problem with wipeout.

R.V

"Velocity erodes mass doesn't"

"There are no parts to an action other than maybe the bolt release, and the trigger. The other components are in the bolt assembly, which wouldn't be exposed to wipeout."

Yup, and extractor, which was being replaced anyway. Point being, it required attention beyond my level of expertise.

Rag is a good idea. I think I used two fingers. Think I'll go back to Sweet's.

You can also take a fired shell case and put a ring of silicone around the junction where the shoulder meets the neck. You only need a ring about 20-30 thousands in height. Let it set up, so it will not stick to the chamber. load the case into the chamber by closing the bolt. It will give you a water tight seal and you do not have to buy a rubber plug to do the same thing.

RELH

RELH, +1, Sometimes the best ways are simple ways and your idea is a darn good one!!

I've just been stuffing a piece of rag down in there but i knew it wasn't stopping all the W-O from getting into the action area.

Joey

Good stuff on the subject here by all--
I'll add that I take my compressor at about 40-50 lbs. with a narrow nozzle and blow it all until I see nothing in there that is not supposed to be in there.

Rump

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom