Wisconsin hunters

A

AZbowhntr

There sure seems to be a lot of stories coming out of Wisconsin this year. Check this one out. At least he turned himself in.

Hunter mistook pet llama as deer, charged in killing

Associated Press
Dec. 17, 2004 08:15 AM

MADISON, Wis. - A hunter faces two charges after shooting a llama that he mistook for a deer.

John M. Burger was charged with trespassing and a misdemeanor count of mistreatment of animals after he killed a llama named Snicker Doodle Silk that was grazing on land owned by Susan and Kevin Kovacs.

According to a criminal complaint, Burger was on land adjacent to the Kovacses' property when he shot the animal Nov. 9.

Burger told a Dane County sheriff's deputy he was in a tree stand when he spotted an animal grazing about 60 yards north.

Burger said he thought the animal was a deer, probably a doe, and he waited for it to raise its head. It did not and he shot at it. He then walked toward the animal and saw herds of llamas running around, realizing his mistake.

Burger reported the accidental shooting to the Kovacs family and apologized.

The trespassing charge carries a fine of up to $1,000 and the other count carries a fine of up to $10,000 and a nine-month jail term.

This was an accident but from an irresponsible hunter. That is why you should NEVER shoot until you know 100% for sure what your shooting at! Especially now that moose are starting to populate in new areas, Colorado being one, might mistake it for an elk.

You should never make an identification mistake on shooting an animal. However, he was at least man enough to admit his mistake even though he wasn't caught. Many wouldn't.

223098.jpg

You know, When you put 750,000 weekend warriors in the woods some bad things will happen.
I have a friend that did something similar and it ended our friendship because he thought i was out of line when i told him i will not risk getting shot to hunt with him.
He shot an animal through a bush and it ended up not being a game animal. what a moron, both of these guys.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom