Witnessing the Expo draw

llamapacker

During all the hub-bub last year regarding the Expo draw, SFW made the offer to have any and all interested members of the public attend the actual draw to witness the process. This offer was made even more explicitly during the MM meeting held in Research Park, SLC. For those that don't know me, I provided the facilty for this MM meeting, which was attended by ~20 MM members.

Last week I ran into Don Peay and Ryan Foutz at the expo, and asked if could witness the draw this year. I was warmly invited, and did in fact witness the draw taking place yesterday at Division HQ. While not a particulary exciting event, it was painfully clear that the draw is conducted fairly, openly, and honestly. I will also note that I was the only member of the public that showed up to witness the draw. There were also several members of MDF, SFW, DWR and the drawing consultants present.

Let me be clear: I saw NOTHING that would lead me to question the integrity of the draw. The drawing consultants went to great effort to make this process 100% fair.

I don't expect my observations to quiet all dissenting voices. I have expressed reservations about SFW, etc. in the past. But the tag drawing appeared to be above reproach.

Let the conspiracy theories begin, but I am just an ordinary citizen, attended as a member of the general public, just as any of you can in the future. The worst part is I can't ##### about not drawing myself again this year... :-(

Bill

llamapacker-

I am glad to hear that you took them up on their offer to witness the drawing process. I only wish that SFW had followed through on the other promises made at our meeting. I have never believed or stated that the drawing process was unfair, dishonest or rigged. However, I do think it is a foolish public relations nightmare to allow SFW executives and board members to participate in the draw.

Now to the important part, did you draw a tag?

Hawkeye

Browning A-Bolt 300 Win Mag
Winchester Apex .50 Cal
Mathews Drenalin LD

Bill,

Glad you were able to make it to the draw. Its definitely comforting knowing you saw how things worked and can vouch for the process. I hope you were able to see your name come up!

-Travis

LAST EDITED ON Feb-09-11 AT 03:32PM (MST)[p]Bill----

You are one of the most respected guys (and your Mrs.) I have ever dealt with----on professional terms, finacial dealings and just simple time spent together.

That said----

Any 9th grader in a Software Developement class KNOWS that a software program only 'spits out' what it has been programmed to 'spit out'......

If any type of hanky-panky takes place---it is on the input side of the program not the out come side of the program....

Sorry your name didn't get selected...

Robb

Please dear is dead nuts on. The only way they can assure us of a fair draw is to hire some mm consultants to review the raw, decompiled code so as to confirm that no names are specifically mentioned in the draw.

No offense but you wasted your time. You needed to be around when the code was written dude!

ego participate in Monasteriense muleys proinde ego sum bardus (I participate on monstermuleys therefore I am stupid)

I will gladly offer my services to review the code. I have a compiler on hand and am ready to do so.

However if I draw a utah tag every year from here on out I don't wanna hear any complaints. It will only be a mere coincidence!

ego participate in Monasteriense muleys proinde ego sum bardus (I participate on monstermuleys therefore I am stupid)

Robb,

You make an excellent point, and I will elaborate a little further. As you know, I am not a software guy, and I fully understand that the IT consultants could easily have hidden somewhere in the code a line that says "Pick Don", or whatever. You are absolutely right I probably wouldn't know this if I saw it.
This is precisely why SFW hired an outside consultant, who is frankly a computer geek who doesn't hunt, etc. Although he is too polite to say it, I think he believes we are all a little nuts for getting so wrapped up in this draw. (Too bad for him!)

The Division did provide two other IT personnel who went through the code in my presence and confirmed to all in attendance that no such preferential programming was in place. Sooner or later you have to trust some of these experts. Should there have been five IT geeks, two separate companies, or ...? I saw a higher level of transparancy than exists for any of the draws taking place in the regular state draws. If this draw was rigged, then the state of Utah DWR, SFW, and MDF were in on the plan together. I may like a good conspiracy theory as much as the next guy, but I really think people's time would be better spent investigating area 51 in NM.

While I can't speak for any of the groups organizing the expo, their offer was made to the public to witness this drawing if they so desired. Any of you unaffiliated computer geeks that CAN understand the code can readily go next year and check the code yourselves.

Bill

So did any of the SFW dudes get tags this year?? If they didn't I say well done llamapacker, you foiled their sinister plans with your presence!! Hahaha...

...as much as I disagree with SFW and the like on most issues, I've never doubted that the draw was rigged. Maybe I'm just too naive. :)

>I was Just Notified that I
>drew the Bison Hunt on
>the Heny Mountains;)

Who and how where you notified
And when am I going to be notified on my sheep tag
I CAN FEEL IT

Never Satisfied:

I here by anounce that you have been drawn in the Expo drawings. You will be hunting sheep of your CHOICE! Have fun and GOOD LUCK! Just send payment to me. THANKS!

Robiland
You got yourself a gosh darn deal
P.M the address to send the money

ITS ALL ABOUT MEAT-IN WITH THE TAXIDERMIST

If I am reading my previous post correctly, I typed----

"If any type of hanky-panky takes place---it is on the input side of the program not the out come side of the program...."

Not anything about it is rigged.....

Thanks for your follw-up Bill, I appreciate your honesty.

I never realized the IT types had been doing all their type of confirming during the whole process from the input to the draw results.

I certainly appoligize for my lack of procedure.

Robb

never satisfied,
should be fairly easy hunt if you draw,
take something to attract them,hay,barley,oats will work fine,if that don't work very well try calling them in,b-a-a-a
don't forget your muck boots & velcro glove's it will make the hunt more enjoyable for ya.

p.s. you and the family gonna make the hillclimbs this year??

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom