WMA shed hunt too early

I

IHuntNUtah

I went on a WMA today for the opener to look for some sheds and couldnt help but notice how badly this hurt the deer in the area i was in. I showed up at 630 and many people had been out for hours, the deer had obviously been pushed to the limit by the time I started. I personally watched a deer with a collar roll down a hillside side over side to the bottom of the hill. As i walked back to my vehicle I noticed 3 other deer at the bottom. all had made the roll down the hill. I found another spot where a deer had fallen from a cliff, not a tall one more like a rock, about 8 feet and had drawn blood and kept on going. My personal opinion is that the shed hunt opener on these wintering grounds should be pushed back a few weeks. I did have success on my shed hunt, found a few good ones and i had fun with my friends and enjoyed the scenery. If we wait a couple weeks most of the elk will have dropped also instead of just over half. the only downside i see to pushing it back is the dang shed poachers will get more than they have already. Just my opinion.

It really just depends on the year. Some years the animals have moved up and the snow is gone. Other years there is still snow and herds of elk and deer all over the place.

I was up in Henefer on the opener and there was some snow, but I didn't see any elk and just a few deer. Looked like they had moved up a ways.

Well I dont know where you were but I saw about 50 elk and at least 60 to 70 deer up on the henefer wma.

DEER GET CHASED ALL WINTER LONG. DO YOU THINK DEER JUST DROP LIKE FLIES BECAUSE OF COUGARS AND YOTES? IF THEY WERE AS WEAK AS YOU PEOPLE THINK WE WOULDN'T HAE ANY LEFT. i HIHGLY DOUBT YOU WATCHED ONE ROLL DOWN THE HILL AND PILE UP DEAD.

It was a big bodied 2 point.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom