Wolf Hunting Tips and Locations

Hunthigh

Hey guys. A friend and I plan to put the hurt on some wolves this year to build the trophy room and more importantly save some elk. Any Tips on wolf hunting / pack locations in Central Idaho? We are likely to hunt in the lowman/garden valley area unless advised otherwise. feel free to PM me. any recent wolf encounters would be great to hear about!!!

Cheers!

Idaho fish and game puts out a report every year about the wolf population and locations. The report is on their website somewhere.

also this website http://www.northwestwolfsightings.org/ gets updated every once in a while.

try calling fish and game and talking with their wolf biologist to see if there has been any recently reported cattle kills or just ask where they think you should go.

I think the lowman/garden valley area holds quite a few wolves (according to their report) or pine/featherville area.

Another MM'er on here put a stalk on a wolf within sight of the town of lowman during an elk hunt, unfortunately a bear ambled along and scared the wolf off....then he missed the bear!

Anyway, the elk winter there so the wolves will be there.

Great thought to talk to a biologist. I wonder how high/Low the majority of the elk will be with the current snow level. I think find elk = find wolves. We plan to use howling to locate then either cow elk distress calls or wounded rabbit calls to hopefully lure them in. Anyone have preffered calling methods???

>Another MM'er on here put a
>stalk on a wolf within
>sight of the town of
>lowman during an elk hunt,
>unfortunately a bear ambled along
>and scared the wolf off....then
>he missed the bear!
>
>Anyway, the elk winter there so
>the wolves will be there.
>

Wow! that would be a heck of a day!! was that hunt in mid october general season??

>Another MM'er on here put a
>stalk on a wolf within
>sight of the town of
>lowman during an elk hunt,
>unfortunately a bear ambled along
>and scared the wolf off....then
>he missed the bear!
>
>Anyway, the elk winter there so
>the wolves will be there.
>

It was funny watching him miss the 2o+ yard shot : ) oh well, it happens I guess. Lesson learned, never go into wolf/bear territory without a rifle ha ha.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. -Robert Heinlein

I'm the culprit that missed the bear with the pistol that scared the wolf off that I was putting a stalk on. Long story short, lots of predators at very close ranges for a dude with a bear phobia and zero notched tags.

It was eating on a calf elk carcass that was killed by a cat.

We got visuals on wolves 4 times this season in the Sawtooths near Lowman and Deadwood Reservoir all during the archery season. Shoot huntfishfeed a PM and see if he is willing to share some coordinates with any of you fellas that are interested in looking for some wolves.

We will be back up in there after them once waterfowl slows down for us.

My son and a friend both howled wolves in last week. Each was just mouth howled in. The friend has done it before and is very confident that he will do it again. He says the problem is locating them.

This morning I googled locating wolves with a siren. Wolves will howl at train whistles, air raid sirens, and an ambulance. I was told you can get a siren call for the fox pro calls.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Things are making a lot more sense to me on what kind of hunter you really are twsnow... Maybe you could get BuzzH to give you some pointers at your next Obama rally together. Or just stick to golf...

>Things are making a lot more
>sense to me on what
>kind of hunter you really
>are twsnow... Maybe you could
>get BuzzH to give you
>some pointers at your next
>Obama rally together. Or
>just stick to golf...

Please, if you could, try not to hurt my feelings so early in the weekend like this big bad wolfhunter.

I'm no expert but I think the most important thing is to hunt around the large wintering herds of deer and elk. Areas like SF of the Payette, SF of the Salmon, MF of the Boise, SF of the Boise, Danskins, Squaw Butte, Third fork, Lowman, etc.

Find the herds and check the area for fresh wolf tracks. If you find wolf tracks get to a high vantage point where you can watch the herds and glass the main ridges that the wolves love to travel on. IMO they are very hard to glass in snow (unless they are black) but they can spot you pretty easily traveling ridges. So obviously stay off the ridges. Watch the herds for strange behavior, because the deer and elk will sometimes spot the wolves before you will.

We've had them answer to howls first thing in the morning, and another time mid-day. They would answer but not react or come to the calls. So we just used it for location like you would a bugle. I have never tried distress calls like you would for coyotes, but might work.

Good luck!!
www.pure-elevation.com

I would bet anything that their are wolves in the 39-2 come mid to late December, thousands of deer migrate there. I deer hunted there until the 15th of December last year and saw 4-500 deer a day in herds. That is where they will spend the winter.

Also if you have ever hunted that unit and put miles on your boots you will notice bones everywhere. Some animal is killing the deer. I can't imagine that many die from starvation, could be coyotes I suppose

>Things are making a lot more
>sense to me on what
>kind of hunter you really
>are twsnow... Maybe you could
>get BuzzH to give you
>some pointers at your next
>Obama rally together. Or
>just stick to golf...

Wolfhunter,

With a name like that you have to be good! Attitude to boot!!

been getting out chasing wolves? any sightings?

Hiked the Kirkham area all day sunday with no-luck on wolves. Saw coyote sign, deer, elk, and watched crows hoping to find a kill. Even howled saturday night and sunday a little. No luck. No sign. Headed out Monday maybe Tuesday with high hopes of finding wolves. PM me if anyone has any hot tips!!!

>4-500 head? Wow! You should pm
>me where and I'll go
>put the hurt on whatever
>predators I find.

You sure you can shoot straight after all that time in the kitchen??

Yeah. All that kitchen time did a number on my shooting, but your mom sure did like the "ass blaster".

@idhbuff: Let's do it. I'm sure HuntHigh could be talked into going too.

Anybody try coyote howls? I know wolves hate them and have thought about trying just haven't yet.

>Anybody try coyote howls? I
>know wolves hate them and
>have thought about trying just
>haven't yet.

It works great! killed a 130 pound male at little over a 100 yards. He came in from well over a mile away...

Best method is to find wintering elk and then hunt around them. The riggins area has some big wintering elk herds. Finding a wolf is pretty much just luck, they roam and roam and roam. Good luck to all!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom