Wolf Hunting Tips

chewyman55

It looks like WYO is soon to be added to the wolf hunting world. With that in mind, I have every intention of giving it a solid effort. For those of us rookies, what are some tips that you successful wolfers can offer? I have an area in mind that I've been awakened by wolves howling and last fall, had my bear carcass devoured by wolves within several days. Can coyote howls and calls be effective? Is it more effective to mimic a coyote or another wolf? I'll probably be alone often and would like to avoid the dying rabbit and such calls if possible, as I don't want to bring in a grizzly. I'll do predator calls if I have to though! Any intel would be appreciated!

Since the wolves havent been hunted yet a coyote call will work great. Wolves cannot stand competition and will often run to you ready to kill. Another way to hunt them is to follow their food source. Of course all this is easier said than done.

Thanks for the advice. Anyone think that a coyote decoy would sweeten the pot or is it needless weight? Maybe once a wolf makes up his mind to come to the call, he doesn't need much more encouragement.

I hunted them quite a bit last winter in idaho. Called in a pair and killed the female, shoulda got the male too......anyhow, I called them in with a foxpro, and a male coyote challenge bark. Although, I think they would react to about any predator call, after all, they are predators looking for food.

Be prepared to put on lots of miles, sunsabitches can cover alot of ground roaming around.

I've thought of going to wyoming, we saw more wolves than elk last year on our elk hunt, NO JOKE!

Good luck. I'm itching to get my deer hunts over so I can get back after them and the coyotes!

Thanks Smitty. That's goon info. Congrats on taking a lower 48 wolf. That's quite an accomplishment. Yeah, I've got the Foxpro ready to go and the hiking boots ready to wear some tread. You guys only do morning and eve calling or can a wolf be sucked in at any time of day?

I try all day. You just never know where they're gonna be.

It is the most physically demanding hunting that I've done. Literally, daylight till dark, glassing, making sets, calling, glassing, hiking, glassing, back on the wheeler, etc......

I got lucky and had about 8" of brand new snow to track 'em in. If you can get snow, that will be your best advantage. But be prepared to put on lots of miles, wolves can cover ground like no other animal I've seen. You can find a pack one day and the next they could be 20 miles away, their food source is mobile, so it's hard to pattern them in any way.

If you do get some coming in, try to stay calm and stay low, you should get more than one. The big male that I should have got didn't spook at the shot at all, I simply didn't look around to find any more.

Good luck, post up some dead pics when you get 'em!

Thanks. I hope to have some pics! This year might be tough because our trophy zone quotas are ridiculously low...but I'm going to do my best to be one of the lucky guys to put one on the dirt. Oh and I meant "good info" not "goon info". Didn't want to start a MM brawl there!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom