Wolf in Yellowstone National Park has mange

swampmule

Seen this on a different site.
BILLINGS ? A wolf in Yellowstone National Park has been stricken with mange, the first time the disease has been documented in wolves in the park.

Mange ? a disease in which mites infect the skin, causing scratching and hair loss ? has been seen in several packs of wolves outside the park. It spreads primarily with contact between animals.

ADVERTISEMENT Biolife Plasma Services ?I'm extremely worried that now that one pack has it, a wolf will disperse and we'll have a problem parkwide,? said Doug Smith, leader of the Yellowstone wolf project.

Mange isn't always directly fatal, but significant hair loss can lead to hypothermia or infections that can kill the animal.

The disease can be particularly tough on wolves that live at high elevations in the winter, said Ed Bangs, wolf recovery coordinator for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

?I've seen them where they look nude, barely a hair left on their body,? Bangs said.

Smith said the infected wolf in Yellowstone was the 9-year-old alpha male in Mollie?s pack, which roams the eastern por-tion of the park.

He first noticed signs of mange about 10 days ago during an aerial flight over a spot where the pack was feeding on a bi-son carcass. They found the wolf three days later with the help of a satellite-tracking collar the wolf was wearing. He was about five miles away from where he'd been days earlier ? staying close to a thermal area ? and was no longer with his pack.

The wolf was darted and Smith removed its collar over concern that it might be an added irritation to its hairless neck. About 40 percent of his body hair was gone.

?He looked terrible,? Smith said.

The wolf emerged from the anesthesia and wandered off. Because he's not collared, it's unclear what's happened to him.

?He may have already perished on his own,? Smith said.

The case also raises the question of how mange was introduced into the park.

Mange has been reported in packs east of Yellowstone in Sunlight Basin, but Smith said there's never been a documented case of a wolf from outside Yellowstone moving into the park.

?It's a pretty serious disease,? Bangs said. ?Wolves north of the park have had it for years and a couple of those packs just got creamed.?

Hum, imagine that, too think that mother-nature has her own method for keeping in check predator populations, who ever would have guessed. . .

The same could be said about my ex-wife as well. That was good.. haha

Is it possible that we all had the same gal? LOL

I mean, I was sure they broke the mold with the one I had. . .

LOL

Wow, wonder how that happened? }> The coyotes are just recovering from the mange here in in the Madison valley. The pack probally feasted on yote and got it.
ismith

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ~ anonymous

I would say great , parvo would be nice too. but anything they could use for an excuse not to delist them won't help.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaaa

---------------------------------------
This is my post

I've just pissed in my pants.......and nobody can do anything about it.

TFinal is right, when there is too many coyotes in a area same thing happens.
Jeff

The guy must not care to much for the over all wolf population. Should have shown some mercy put it down and possibly saved a few more.

????????????????????????????? What are the last two guys saying?????????????????????

>????????????????????????????? What are the last
>two guys saying?????????????????????

Maybe their saying the Wolf should have been put down and removed to eliminate possible contact and spreading of Mange.
I would have put it in the middle of a few more Wolves but that's just me.

I get it now, the thinking is that the mange will cause them NOT to delist. I get it. I was thinking that the mange would help keep the numbers down. . .

IDIOTS! The wolf "experts", not you guys! Well at least not most of you.lol

Mange is always present in a canid population. When it becomes a problem is when the population density is too high. Population density too high = increased rate of death by disease. We had a couple of wolves in the valley here about 16 miles where I am sitting. I didn't see them, but the fellow I talked to who did said they looked awful. Advanced mange. That was a couple of months ago so they are no doubt dead now.

Where did it come from? Mange mites are species specific, so they didn't get it from coyotes or foxes. It either came in with some imported wolves or was in the population already existing.

There is an injectable cure for mange if you get he animal before it is too advanced. Be damned if I am going to email the experts and tell them what it is.

It could have been my ex.Was it walking around with its head up its backside?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom