Wolf Meat

LAST EDITED ON Aug-18-11 AT 04:36PM (MST)[p]NO. Wolves, Cats, and Bears are all exempt. Of course the judge won't take my word, but I know this to be true.

As of last year they changed the law on bears and modified the rules so you don't have to bring out neck or rib meat on deer/elk/antelope. I don't necessarily agree with this, but it is the law.

I do believe you may have to bring some part of the wolf out, but not sure what. I would think you have to hang your tag on something!

When we had a season I swore if I killed one we would barbq it & enjoy a bottle of crown. That thing stunk so bad, you couldnt put it on the grill. I brought the backstraps out for the victory celebration. We ended up throwing them away.
I dont believe you are required to though.

I think it is the same as cougar and bear, present the hide (with proof of sex attached) and the skill to a F&G officer within a some time period.

Thanks for all the replies everybody. This is good news as I will be in on a solo backpack hunt and am keen to kill a wolf, but a lot less keen if I have to bring all the meat out, as well. Here's to me posting a wolf picture up here in a couple months!

who gives a #####, gut shoot them all and they will run off and die, then you dont have to tag any of them :)

Ha! Ha! Yea you gotta eat it man! I triple dog dare you! I have a fat old lab might be a little chewy.

Their is no way in hell I could eat one that would be like eating one of my dogs!. I train Retrievers for a living. nasty!

TRust me you don't have to bring out the wolf meat!!!! It's going to be nasty enough to skin the damn thing. I skinned one coyote,,,no more.

Wolves are full of tape worms!!! Read the warnings in the regs about how to handle them.

I wrote to IDFG just to make sure and here is the email I got in return: Our regulations on wolves state that ?Hunters are not required to retrieve meat from a harvested wolf.?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom