Wolf season a go, Malloy upholds Wolf Rider

What Kind of traps are you going to order blindsqurile?

I was optimistic and already ordered a dozen MB 750's. Will order materails to make a 100 or so snares as well.

Guy is a real peace of work I tell ya.

I would also like to know what traps you guys are using. Haven't trapped before but I'm a heck of a lot more interested in getting into it now. I'm planning on trying to call for em. We will see how that goes.

For the sake of safety and the law can some of you veteran trappers please post how you mark your traps and how noticeable they are, my personal worst fear is being way back in some where and stepping in big bear trap. By the sounds of it there's gunna be thousands of traps set up all over the place. Thanks in advance for sharing good safety and sportsman ship and hope all of you fill ALL of your tags.

I have several years of trapping and have trapped hundreds of animals, fox,coyote, bobcat, mink, beaver, muskrat, and racoons.
Although it's a good thing that more people are going to become interested in trapping because of the wolves, I think they need to start on some smaller animals and get some catches under their belt before they jump into wolf trapping with both feet.
Wolf traps are no joke, jaw spreads up to 9" and higher hanging snares. Traps need to be solidly anchored, with multiple swivels. A trapper has to know how to release non target catches without injury to himself or the animal. k-9's are very tough to catch, very trap smart.
As far as the question about marking your traps, with k-9's you can't visually mark every trap, they will get stolen and it would cause hesitation from the animals. I mark mine on gps to keep track of where they are and use the fish and game sign (I laminate mine) leading into the area to let people know there are traps in the area and how to release their dog safely if they get into one. traps in the water are easier to mark with flagging, most people won't bother wading in or busting ice to steal my trap when it's -10 degrees. Those big bear traps you're worried about are illegal, and you can't use any traps with teeth on them. I have caught my own arm in conibears and my hands in leghold traps, it hurts but doesn't cause permanent damage and have always been able to free myself.
Again, I encourage ethical people to get into trapping, but don't get in over your head, start small and figure out how to handle foxes, coyotes etc first.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom