Wolf trappers Wanted.

nochawk

Idaho getting Proactive about the wolves I guess...

541917712487028877023979160488796545866379821056n.jpg

Let's Plant Some More just to see what happens!

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

I don't want to sound like a newbie (which I really am when it comes to wolves) but how feasible is it to actually hunt them and kill one with a rifle?

I'm trying to decide if its a 2 year, 5 year, or a 10 year project to learn enough, hunt enough and then get lucky enough to actually kill one in Idaho.

Zeke

PS: It seems like the guys who actually regularly kill wolves are pretty tight-lipped about areas and methods.

#livelikezac

Zeke, it's tough as Hell to hunt and kill one with a rifle. I have, but I was hunting elk. Most of the successful wolf hunters I know spend LOTS of time after them. And trapping is the most successful method. I do know a guy that has killed four with a rifle, but twice that trapping. This is why I laugh at the SSS boneheads. Most of those guys will never even see a wolf, much less have a chance at killing it. mtmuley

mtmuley,

I suspect what you said is 100% accurate.

I'm not looking to shortcut the process but wanted a realistic view on how feasible it is for a guy from out of State to do any good.

There are some guys who say "easy, just follow the elk herds" but I'm sure this is oversimplifying what it takes to kill a wolf. Same guys will say "can't swing a dead cat without hitting an elk" but even finding elk can be challenging at times.

Thanks for the honest reply.

Zeke

#livelikezac

>Zeke, it's tough as Hell to
>hunt and kill one with
>a rifle. I have, but
>I was hunting elk. Most
>of the successful wolf hunters
>I know spend LOTS of
>time after them. And trapping
>is the most successful method.
>I do know a guy
>that has killed four with
>a rifle, but twice that
>trapping. This is why I
>laugh at the SSS boneheads.
>Most of those guys will
>never even see a wolf,
>much less have a chance
>at killing it. mtmuley

That is so true....read about wolf hunters from the bounty days.....it was a special guy that collected much bounty money....wolf killers were in high demand and they all shot when they could but mostly ate by trapping them......

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

If a guy is killing wolves consistently from year to year, he is a certified badass in my book. Wolves are tough to hunt and kill. Especially after they have been hunted. Like I said, I get a giggle out of the keyboard jockeys. I hunt them after our big game season is over. One day I'm gonna kill another one. mtmuley

I took our wolf trapping class and am certified. Time is the biggest issue. Working 40 to 60 hours a week leaves zero time for trapping. It can get spendy. The guy I know has a purpose built snow crawler truck and a snowmobile. He also has a god LR rifle set-up for when he needs it. mtmuley

>If I was 40 years younger
>and lived in wolf country
>I'd take up the challenge
>of trapping wolves.

I agree Mr Eel.

At 66, maybe I came to the party a little late to be a wolf hunting badass but I'll try it a few times anyway and be realistic about my expectations.

I've seen a handful of them over the years, in NWT while sheep hunting, but nothing close enough to shoot.

Zeke

#livelikezac

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom