Wolf?

Sure has a wolfs head....

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

I think you should not wager the 401k money. It sure looks like a wolf to me

It looks like a coyote in color. It could be a young wolf. Hard to tell with one picture. I wouldn't bet my retirement on one picture. It looks like a stocky body, not a scrawny skinny body. I would guess 95% chance it's a coyote.

If it is Utah it is a coyote for sure!!

I am not sure - it might be a juvenile wolf, it looks longer than most coyotes do. The other pics on the picassa site aren't helpful either.

Shoot first then identify the species later.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

I like Roy's idea!! Shoot it either way...

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

100% coyote. They've learned to run along side the buses. When the buses pass the ground squirrels, the squirrels freeze, and BAM....the coyote makes an easy kill.

AS I UNDERSTAND IT THERE ARE NO YOTES UP THERE.......COULD BE A YOUNG WOLF...........I THINK ITS A WOLF FOR SURE IN THE LOWER 48.......BOOM!!!!!

Boom... "hey I heard you shoot, what was it?"
"Oh, just got a coyote"
"are you going to take it home?"
"nah, I'd better not"
"oh well,hitshappens!"

dislcaimer: the above narrative is for entertainment porposes only and is not intended to portray a real-life activite. No animals were harmed in the writing of this story. Yeah right!

Zeke

NO way its a wolf. Young or not those feet are coyote not wolf. I've seen about 15 wolves here in Idaho the last two years, and they are tall but NOT thin or small of foot, plus they don't have near as pointy a muzzle.

Could be either, but to me it looks like a young wolf. Nose is longer and he seems bigger around. It's hard to say without something to judge it's size.

I am saying a juvenile wolf. "Anyone who says its a coyote should stay indoors"

As if is sorry A$$ has ever seen a wolf.

coyote saw one just about like him just 2 days ago running right along the road and fence, Never try to come across the road.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

looks like a young wolf to me. just doesnt quite look coyote to me. hard to say for sure but i would lean toward wolf personally

I'm shocked and disappointed anyone would think this is a wolf. I guess this means we have a whole lot less wolves in the west realistically speaking.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-25-11 AT 06:15AM (MST)[p]There is no question: that is definately Denali!

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

The more I look at the pictures, including the background in the one, I am going to change my stance and say that it is a young wolf.

I know I will regret this. Here is a wolf from the arctic last year. It was relativly young one. actually this was one of 9 taken in 3 days. From one picture it is hard to say for sure but I still say it could be a wolf. And sorry Zigga I am not about to stay indoors on YOUR say so!

5697nunavut_124_crop.jpg

I say not even close to thinking wolf. Straight yote, short legs small feet and a mousy nose. Yote.

I thought this was going to be a big laugh and the we all would agree that that is for sure a coyote, and an average sized coyote (25 lbs) at that with a thick hide. I could understand a tourist thinking wolf because they are in Alaska, but coming from experienced hunters gives me a good laugh. Wasn't even going to post on this one, but seeing how there is not a general consensus, I figured I better put my vote in for coyote.

That pic of the wolf even confirms it more.

My first impulse was to say blue heeler. Then after looking at the man killer instinct in its eyes, I'd have to say Pit Bull.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

can we have three guess, LOL? I was sure it was a coyote and then when the Denali Park post surfaced I started second guessing myself. I just saved the picture, blew it up and cleaned it, and I will go back to my original coyote designation.

I thought most were pinning their wolf theory on the fact that they believed Denali was somehow coyoteless. But some of you are actually looking at that pic and seeing a WOLF? That's as close to a wolf as it is to a poodle.

I am no longer waffling, and I wasn't really in the beginning just hadn't closed the door to the possibility of it being a juvenile wolf - but now I say coyote 100%.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

I took the same tour in Denali last year and recognized the same spot the local wolf pack has been hanging out for years.Everybody on the bus gets pictures of the wolves right next to the road.sad bunch of hunters can't tell a wolf from a coyote. hope all you coyote believers know the difference between a horse and an elk LOL

LAST EDITED ON Jul-01-11 AT 07:15AM (MST)[p]I'm saying coyote. Coyotes have a longer looking snout which is more slender up to the eyes. Wolves tend to have more of a wedge shaped snout that looks shorter. The givaway is deffinately the snout. The coloration around the face lends itself to coyote as well. The only picture that threw me off was the second picture on the second post. Thats the tough one.

*EDIT*

Damn, went back and looked again at the second two pictures and I've gotta say thats a tough one. I don't think its as easy a call as some here think. The first picture deffinately looks coyote but the other two are tougher. If it were just the third picture I'd say wolf. But... that first picture still has me saying coyote.

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, US Army
"Most men go through life wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Regan

It's a coyote, it will always be a coyote.

Even these won't help if you just can't tell the difference.

glasses.jpg

How in the halls of hades can anyone think that is a wolf? Are you fricking serious? Am I missing the joke or something? Really.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-01-11 AT 09:37PM (MST)[p]Suppose you think this is wolf?

rr_yote.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jul-01-11 AT 09:46PM (MST)[p]
bmswolf3.jpg

Taken in same spot as the 2 coyotes in the first pic in last post.

Coyotes on road.
prillyote.jpg

006.jpg

Wolves on road

prillwolf.jpg

004-Copy.jpg

003-Copy.jpg

I have dozens if you are still having trouble.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-02-11 AT 06:13AM (MST)[p]Great photos Drahthaar!!! Hey I have a DD that doesn't look like a yote or wolf, LOL!
6928p1000427.jpg

What's his name?

I have two, Sage vom Hedge Row, and his "niece", Unja vom Hedge Row, I call her "Hurricane Ursie".

Ursie
ursiegoose.jpg

cnc_eureka016.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jul-02-11 AT 12:43PM (MST)[p]Those are great photos of Ursie! Mine is Hercules vom Moorehaus (Herc for short) and he's out of a Georgia kennel owned by Forrest Moore. Herc will be 8 on 10/23 and is my best buddy with a nose that won't quit. He didn't grow the long hair the breed is noted for and everyone thinks he's a straight GSP. Here's a closeup of him I took while I was sitting here at my computer chair.
5904p1000425.jpg

The official answer from a Denali park ranger is that it's a 'yote, alright.

Hi there,

Great picture! It is indeed a coyote shown here. The coyote has a distinctly longer snout that the wolf does.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask. Thank you for your interest in Denali National Park and Preserve.

All the best,
Zach Johnson

US Park Ranger
Denali National Park and Preserve
907-683-2294
8 am - 4:30 pm Alaska time

That's hilarious!

I found a small moose shed at work one year and a guy I worked with that has a fish and wildlife degree bet me that it was an elk shed. I emailed a picture to our local game warden and he said he couldn't be sure what it was. There is a big difference between a small moose shed and an elk shed if you know anything about them. Where I found it was another indication it was a moose because it was at 9,000' in elevation where elk NEVER hang out in the spring. He finally admitted it was a moose shed.

It's frustrating to hear people mention seeing "wolves" or "griz" or "a huge bull" when you are almost certain they wouldn't know one if they saw one. Some people I hunt with see all three on a regular basis when I am hunting the exact same area at the same time and I never seem to see the same thing they are talking about. hmmmmmmmm!!?

Great pics Drathaar. Thanks for the comparisons and hopefully we will all be seeing less "wolves" from here on out.

Yeah, those pics deffinately made the difference. I knew it was a coyote just by the snout and eyes. You can really tell with the pics Drathaar post... thanks dude.

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, US Army
"Most men go through life wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Regan

Hahaha well I had to wait to see what all you experts thought it was so I could just agree with you and sound smart,LOL

Man, take a break from MM for a while and come to find out your post has blown up. When I originally posted the pictures, I was expecting a response from maybe 4-5 guys confirming it as a coyote. I never thought it would stir up such a debate. Not once have I looked at these pictures and even given serious consideration to it being a wolf. Im glad to see that Im at least with the majority.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-06-11 AT 12:24PM (MST)[p]The majority elected BO too and look where that got us, LOL!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom