Wolves ARE here in Washington!!!!

polarbear

Long Time Member
Howdy folks!
I just got back from hunting my favorite spot in North East Wa. Ferry County out of Republic to be a little more specific. While hunting for late archery whitetail I came upon several sets of tracks in the snow unlike any I have ever seen in that area. Yep, wolf tracks. If they had been any where else than where I found them, I would say that they were from domestic dogs. These were a couple of miles from the nearest road and as big as my fist! I also came upon a carcass of a doe that had been recently killed and wolf tracks were all around it. There was nothing left of the doe but the head and backbone. Even the ribs were eaten. I know that coyotes can do it as well but they typically do not eat the bones. The tracks around the carcass were far too big to be coyotes. Any way, to add to the fire, my buddy who lives over there has seen a pack of 3 black wolves running up the San Poil River valley and in the hills near by on several occasions.
I arrowed my buck (4x4 with non typical eyeguards and knots on the tines) just before dark. I usually do not think twice about being in the woods alone at night, even with an animal down, but I sure did this time after seeing those tracks. I was on edge the whole pack out.
Has any of you fellow Warshintonians seen any wolf tracks in the NE? Just wonderin'.
Eric
deerline.gif

polarbear!!!

I SPENT SOME TIME IN THAT NECK OF THE WOODS IN 90-91!!!

NEVER SEEN ANY WOLF TRACKS BUT I'LL GUARANDAMNTEE YOU THERES A GRIZZLY RUNNING THE KETTLE RIVER THERE!!!

OH THE SAN POIL CREEK!!!

DID YOU MAKE IT TO THE BLUE COUGAR SALOON???

WE'VE GOT A FEW WOLVES HERE IN TARDVILLE TOO!!!

THE ONLY bobcat THINKING THERES GETTING TO BE MORE & MORE OF THEM!!!

Nope, didnt make it into town. I only had 2 days to hunt and spent every minute that I could in the woods.
Eric
deerline.gif

I've heard of a couple sightings in the Blues. I'm not sure if they're legit but several friends of mine heard howling in the wenaha that definately didn't sound like coyotes.

Man I hope not! Our calf survival is already poor.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-20-06 AT 10:17PM (MST)[p]Yep I believe it. I think I've said it on here before, but my brother and I saw three wolves just north of Lake Wenatchee about 15 years ago.

I just got back myself from Republic from my second trip for the late archery season. First trip up there I saw a track that I was sure was Wolf or domestic dog I pointed it out to my hunting buddy, playing it off as a wild domestic dog. This trip I am sure those tracks were Wolf. Yesterday hour before light as I was in my stand off in the distance I heard the Howl of a wolf more than once, I lived in Alaska for 15 years and I can tell you that sound is Awesome but it will make the hair on your neck stand up. 99.9% positive there are wolfs up there only reason I am not 100% because I did not see them.

funny you brought this up pb.... we saw 3 sets of wolf tracks up near republic, 2 sets heading down towards brown mountain and the other up on iron mountain, creepy to say the least! didn't get a whitie this year but did see the biggest muley buck iv ever seen in the wild, 28-30 inch semetrical 4x4 with amazing mass and HUGE forks... i think iv up'd my standards for this state after seeing him. we saw 8 muley bucks in 2 days and only 1 very small bodied 2 point whitie that i let live to see another day. the roads were a little icey eh? congrats on your buck!

Thev'e been here for sometime, hopefully they won't increase in numbers too much. Let's see a pic of that whitetail. I've heard of them in the Sawtooth as well.

These were in the Brown Mt. area! I forgot to mention that i hear what I thought were wolf howls while sitting in my stand early Sat. morning.
Eric
deerline.gif

Better stay out of the woods eric, you know those big bad wolves may someday get you - LOL. . . Or, maybe next time youre out, you'll see a scarry grizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, eeeeewwah!

4562fe5d12c03c0d.jpg

I heard from a biologist that WDFW trail cameras in the Kettle Range have recorded both grizzlies and wolves. I have seen wolf tracks high on a ridge above Meadow Lake (between Colville and Ione) about 10 years ago. I have also seen tracks I believe to be grizzly tracks in the Kettle Range.

Well, I spent the week hunting in N. Idaho, not terribly far from the WA border and there were plenty of wolves there...soooooooo.....yes, there are/will be plenty of wolves in Eastern WA soon enough...no doubt about it.

PB...how was the hunt? I didn't see a post yet?

Ernie

there was a guy talking earlier this summer on a fishing forum i frequent that saw a black wolf on the north fork cour d'alene(sp??) river, so that didn't surprise me at all.
bluebulls-where approx. were the wolf sightings in the blues??
p-bear...how bout a pic of your buck??
i sent you a pm...

WDFW is forming a State wolf research committee (I applied) due to more sightings and interaction taking place. I have frequented that area for over 15 years hunting and know it well. I think the committe is already selected, they have a 3-5 year agenda, so you'll probably hear a lot more on this once the ball get's rolling in the next few years.

PB,
Saw my first set of wolf tracks this year while cow elk hunting unit 39 here in Idaho. There is no mistaking wolf tracks for dog or coyote tracks. The ones I saw were bigger than my fist. There were a great deal of them where we were. My son and I got on the wrong closed logging road on the way back out and had a two hour hike back to the truck in total darkness with only one headlamp flashlight. It felt a little different knowing that wolves were using that mountain as a McDonalds.

Idabigbuck,

I can vouch for that. My brother and I were in 39 over Labor Day doing some early scouting for the bull season. We had heard from the locals in Prairie that the bulls were bugling like crazy the week before we showed up, but had silenced due to wolves. We saw several large wolf track during that scout trip, and only heard 1 bull. Didn't see a single elk.
Didn't run into any wolf track on the bull hunt Nov 1-9, but didn't run into any bulls either.
Did you see much on your hunt? A little scary out there knowing the wolves are around that's for sure...

I have a question, why are any of you affraid of wolves? Youre WAY more likely to get hit by lightning or crash on the way to your hunting location, or even get shot by your own gun than to get botherd by a wolf, let alone attacked.

What am I missing? There are dozens of wolves all around my home, I cant even put the the sneek on one let alone get one to try to munch on me.

What's the concern over wolves?

I can understand being worried about them eating too many deer and elk, but being attacked - I dont think I'd ever give it a second thought. . .

You are right! I am actually more likely to eaten by a wild turtle than a wolf. I'm not actually afraid of wolves or cougars for that matter. There are more cougars in that area than wolves. It was just one of those things that happen when you are sitting in a treestand for 3 hours and let your mind wander onto stupid crap and especially while hauling out a buck for almost 2 miles in pitch dark alone. I've spent many a night alone in the woods with nothing but a weapon and a daypack and have never felt uneasy. After seeing what they did to that doe carcass, I definately wanted to get that buck out that night or I would come back to find just a red spot in the snow.
Eric
deerline.gif

LAST EDITED ON Nov-22-06 AT 07:42PM (MST)[p]TF,gator77, Its not that I was afraid of the wolves, to tell you the truth I was more concerned about the possibility of having to stay out in the woods over night away from the truck. We were both armed. But just knowing that the wolves were there perhaps made me look a little harder into the shadows.

We were up by Goat Mountain and saw plenty of elk and deer. So at least for this year the herds seemed to be holding their own in spite of the pressure from the wolves. The big bucks were way up higher than I was prepared to hike.

I will however be glad when the wolves get de-listed so we can start hunting them. I think a wolf pelt is one of the most awesome trophys there is.

TF, bottom line is more wolves = less deer.

Hard to draw tags get harder to draw.

In some places in Wyoming they have closed units to hunting because the wolves are doing too much damage.

"One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom