WOLVES IN COLORADO?

U

unclewalty

LAST YEAR I BELIEVE I SAW SOME WOLVES IN THE UNIT I WAS HUNTING ( ABOUT THE MIDDLE OF THE STATE IN A WILDERNESS AREA). TWO QUESTIONS, HAS ANYONE ELSE SEEN WOLVES ANYWHERE IN COLORADO AND WHAT IF YOU ACCIDENTLY SHOOT ONE THINKING THEORETICALY THAT IT WAS A "COYOTE"?

Yes there are some wolves in CO. I saw some this year near Georgetown CO. Just above I-70 They were eating a bighorn sheep that the CDOW has spent so much time and money manageing.
JC
Colorado Hunting Consultants LLC
www.cohunthelp.com

Do a search in the "elk" forum for colorado wolves. LOTS of stories from old-time CO families and hunters. They've been in certain areas of NW Colorado for years and kept quiet by local families for generations. I'm the fifth generation of my old CO ranching family to have seen them both dead and alive...don't know if some of them were illegally reintroduced or were in fact truly wild, but they've been around for years...coming down through the Zirkels, through the Silver Creek wilderness and pushing South for years is our theory. In our area they would show up around late August and hang through until the snows of October pushed them back to wherever it was that they'd come from. It's not until the past 8 years that we have seen more of them and seen them earlier in the summer months....a certain DOW officer has pictures of the same collared wolf hit and killed on I-70 a few years back taken two days before with two other big "dogs" on a certain ranch in NW Colorado...

Hey Cody,

The Wife and I heard them howling while camping up on Farwell Mountain this July.

Bean

Good to hear from you Fred. And I'll be [email protected]s my mind that there are more wolves moving into different areas in Colorado as the rural areas continue to get gobbled up...guess the wolves and ranchettes go hand-in-hand in Colorado these days...

I heard of a second hand report of one spotted last week in the Sangre de Cristos harassing a herd of elk.

My father in law has a cabin at about 10,000 ft outside of Montrose. On the way up the mountain he saw a wolf a couple weeks ago. I gave hm a hard time about it saying maybe he needed to check his glasses, but he swears up and down it was a wolf. He said it was huge.

WHAT IF YOU ACCIDENTLY SHOOT ONE THINKING THEORETICALY THAT IT WAS A "COYOTE"?

Wolves have been in Southern Colorado for 25 or so years. I've hunted 68 since 1968 and started seeing them or their sign in 1983. I had an occassion once during a coyote hunt to observe a rather large dog like animal who happened to be lying on the ground. His carcass ended up on the doorstep of the local DOW office...or so I heard.

Had one walk through the middle of our camp right next to our fifth wheel 4-5 years ago.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

This picture was taken near Lake George, CO. a couple of years ago.
2389441910102268325S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL]

I have also seen them for over 9 years now on the Uncompahgre Plateau (unit 62). Have tried to get them many times.

The Craigs killed one in the late 80's on there main ranch in Unaweep Canyon.

You can see part of him in this pic of there bunk house. I'm not sure if was Officer George Bach that sealed it ? (I could be wrong)!
scan0001-4.jpg

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom